Advice for Fixing scratches and nicks in dark wood?

+4
Fixing interior doors, door frames, window frames, baseboards that are all in the walnut family of color and are all real wood. I don't want to have to do an entire door to fix a few scratches and nicks on the wood. The wood also needs to have a fresh look as it is probably from the 1980's & I really hate to paint the wood. It is beautiful wood, and could look very rich again with the right fix.

• Joanna Smith Joanna Smith on Jun 12, 2018
    You won't believe this, but the best fix for this is a light coat of mayonnaise. Rub into the scratch or nick with your finger, let it sit about an hour, then buff it off with a soft cloth.
    • Cyn28273242 Cyn28273242 on Jun 23, 2018
      I love it!! I am going to give this a try and its not toxic to add to it. May make me want to make a ham and cheese sandwich though.
  • Sharon Sharon on Jun 12, 2018
    I would match the stain, lightly sand with a very fine grit the edges of the scratch and stain. Then use the same type finish already on it. Watco Danish Oil comes in many colors and is a real nice wood finish. or I would look at a product called Rejuvenate.
  • Rachel Rachel on Jun 12, 2018
    I would try just a wipe over with some oil to start with, that will disguise a multitude of sins on it's own without too much bother
  • Rymea Rymea on Jun 12, 2018
    Try a brown permanent marker
  • Tanya Tanya on Jun 12, 2018
    Old English scratch cover or dark wood furniture polish best done with a a top in several light applications. And old wives truck from lots of military moves is strong tea or espresso cooled then painted on with a sponge brush, you can brew these to a strength to match any wood, and work great on doors,cabinets, furniture nicks and worn panelling