Debbie
Debbie
  • Glen Mills, PA

Pretty Sliding Barn Door. It Slides Behind a Dresser.

$250

Okay. you may be tired of seeing my sliding door projects, but this one is the last. My master bath is really small and the door opens into the room making it even tighter. I thought I didnt have the space for a barn door because I have a small dresser just to the right of the bathroom door. I need this small dresser there because bathroom is so small so it holds my bath towels, linens and toiletries.
The
pretty sliding barn door it slides behind a dresser
This is the finished project with the sliding door closed. Decided to use a mirror again as it tends to reflect more light around the room.
Picture with the barn door opened. Slides right behind the dresser
This is the entrance to bathroom before. Sink is offset to the left and since I like to use the mirror from the medicine cabinet for applying my makeup that darn door was always in my way.
This is a 34 x 84” hollow core door. Went with the hollow core door again because it is lighter in weight. 34 x 84“ is a special order and costs a little more. I wanted to keep the trim and I wanted the door height to clear the trim.
You can see in this picture I decided to install the barn door hardware first. Wanted to get a visual as to where to place the 24 x 42” mirror. Please note that because I wanted to keep the door casing, I had to add a couple of extra washers to the screws that attach hardware to wall into studs. After deciding on placement of mirror, I glued and screwed a 1/4” x 1.75” x 45.5 “ piece of wood to the door for mirror to rest on. Glueing the wood adds more strength to the door to hold the mirror than just screws. Be sure to wait a few hours for the glue to dry.
Another view checking for placement of mirror
I rested the mirror on the wooden strip. I temporarily screwed washers in the top of mirror to hold in place. I then glued and nailed the same strip of wood around the mirror.

I glued and nailed moulding around the mirror and added a wood trim frame on lower part of door. Glued moulding for added strength to hold mirror in place
In this picture you can see I have removed the door stop trim. I Covered the inside of the door jam with toe kick which hides where the hinges and hole where the door knob piece goes into the door jamb. Caulked all around and it’s barely noticeable
Please note because I have opted to keep the trim i Haven’t found a barn door latch that will work. I could use a hook and eye closure but I prefer not to. For me, if the door is closed it’s in use. Because there is a clearance issue you cannot use a regular handle on the bathroom side of the door. I opted for a back plate of a cabinet knob. Didn’t use the knob. Just the back plate. Just enough of an edge to open and close the door. I realize this may not work for everyone.
Just tacked a tacked a flea market poster
Mitered baseboard moulding to create a frame and nailed it right into wall. Couldnt use a regular frame because the door wouldn’t clear.
Mitered corners of frame. Please see my other post for tutorial on making a picture frame from mouldings.
Another view
Picture of my cathedral barn door encase you haven’t seen it.
Picture of my sliding barn door bedroom closet doors closed
Closet doors open.

I’m finally finished with my doors.
Hummm. On to the next project.

34 x 84 hollow core door.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 16, 2018 10:45 PM - More info

• Marla Berk

I’m so inspired to do this to create more floor space. Is there anything tricky about thanking the doors over existing door Moulding? Are there gaps?

Thank you

• Debbie

As I said in the post. Add a couple of extra washers to the screws that attach the railing into the studs so that there is just enough clearance to allow for the casing.

• Dfiorin3

do you have instructions on how you did the cathedral sliding door?

• Pat Downie

How do I save this? I selected the heart shape but I do not know what that did & if it saved it where did it save it?

• Mary Pancaldo

Love barn doors and this is just awesome! Great job~!

• K S

Luv the use of space with this door and of course saved 4 future project. So hope with all your experience an "exterior door" help is in your very talented future. Will post on "need help" section. Great job K.S.