Pretty Sliding Barn Door. It Slides Behind a Dresser.

$250

Okay. you may be tired of seeing my sliding door projects, but this one is the last. My master bath is really small and the door opens into the room making it even tighter. I thought I didnt have the space for a barn door because I have a small dresser just to the right of the bathroom door. I need this small dresser there because bathroom is so small so it holds my bath towels, linens and toiletries.

The solution is to have door slide behind the dresser

This is the finished project with the sliding door closed. Decided to use a mirror again as it tends to reflect more light around the room.

Picture with the barn door opened. Slides right behind the dresser

This is the entrance to bathroom before. Sink is offset to the left and since I like to use the mirror from the medicine cabinet for applying my makeup that darn door was always in my way.

This is a 34 x 84” hollow core door. Went with the hollow core door again because it is lighter in weight. 34 x 84“ is a special order and costs a little more. I wanted to keep the trim and I wanted the door height to clear the trim.

You can see in this picture I decided to install the barn door hardware first. Wanted to get a visual as to where to place the 24 x 42” mirror. Please note that because I wanted to keep the door casing, I had to add a couple of extra washers to the screws that attach hardware to wall into studs. After deciding on placement of mirror, I glued and screwed a 1/4” x 1.75” x 27.5 “ piece of wood to the door for mirror to rest on. Glueing the wood adds more strength to the door to hold the mirror than just screws. Be sure to wait a few hours for the glue to dry.

Another view checking for placement of mirror

I rested the mirror on the wooden strip. I temporarily screwed washers in the top of mirror to hold in place. I then glued and nailed the same strip of wood around the mirror.

I glued and nailed molding around the mirror and added a wood trim frame on lower part of door. Glued moulding for added strength to hold mirror in place

In this picture you can see I have removed the door stop trim. I Covered the inside of the door jamb with toe kick which hides where the hinges and hole where the door knob piece goes into the door jamb. Caulked all around and it’s barely noticeable

Please note because I have opted to keep the trim i Haven’t found a barn door latch that will work. I could use a hook and eye closure but I prefer not to. For me, if the door is closed it’s in use. Because there is a clearance issue you cannot use a regular handle on the bathroom side of the door. I opted for a back plate of a cabinet knob. Didn’t use the knob. Just the back plate. Just enough of an edge to open and close the door. I realize this may not work for everyone.

Just tacked a tacked a flea market poster

Mitered baseboard molding to create a frame and nailed it right into wall. Couldnt use a regular frame because the door wouldn’t clear.

Mitered corners of frame. Please see my other post for tutorial on making a picture frame from molding.

Another view

Picture of my cathedral barn door in case you haven’t seen it.

Picture of my sliding barn door bedroom closet doors closed

Closet doors open.

I’m finally finished with my doors.

Hmmm. On to the next project.

• Carol Heinz

This is an Awesome idea.... You have a lot of creativity going on... I am definitely doing this. Can I ask where are you getting your barn door style hard wear?

• Debbie

Amazon

• Lei20135545

We got ours at Lowes.

• Heather Wass

I love this and instead of doing it for my bathroom it will work perfect to replace my single closet door next to my bureau. Thank you for showing this project.

• Gayle

Same as previous ... best ideas as to where to get hardware, plus - how to determine door size you need?

• Beverly wagner

I did not want barn door hardware. I used a unit from johnson and johnson, that is the same to move door, but is hidden under a metal trim. I painted the trim to match wall. I wanted to hide the hardware.

• Debbie

Personal preference for me. I wanted to keep the trim. If that’s what you choose do you want to cover trim completely or leave maybe a 1/2 trim still exposed for a little more dimension. Even without trim you probably should have 3” on each side of opening.

• Michelle Missy Lewis Platt

I absolutely love the doors you've done! I have a couple of spaces in a beach condo I just purchased, that would give us a lot more clearance for a king size bed if I did this. Is it hard installing the barn door hardware? That's my thorn!

• Debbie

Installing the hardware is a little tricky. Hardware must be level. Also I have an older home and the studs aren’t 16” apart. All three of the barndoor hardware came pre drilled. I had to drill all new holes in the rail to match my studs. Not hard, just get a metal drill bit for your drill. May take a few minutes to drill through

• Jen20558827

Beautiful! Love the doors! I would love to know what paint color you used for your bathroom???

• Carol

First, the doors are all beautiful! This may be a silly question, but....I see the handle on the outside of the door, but what do you use on the inside of the doors? Even the barn doors don't seem to have any type of grip. Just curious. I have several pocket doors in my home and they have hardware to open from the inside.

• FrancieRunsLike A Duck

I thought the same thing. I reread: "Because there is a clearance issue you cannot use a regular handle on the bathroom side of the door. I opted for a back plate of a cabinet knob. Didn’t use the knob. Just the back plate. Just enough of an edge to open and close the door"

• ToniaMark Verville

The soft blue in your bathroom is perfect! What brand and color?

• Amy Rohde

Hi. The cathedral door is stunning. It looks like it might be the door for a guest bathroom? I was wondering, do these doors lock for privacy or is it just understood that when the door is closed, the bathroom is in use? How easily do they slide? Thx for sharing!

• Carol Cole

They are absolutely beautiful, What a picture of please to see them . I especially love the one behind the dresser. Mirror fit beautifully and I love them all. Can you come do one in my dinning room.?

• VSI13275659

This looks great. I’m having a hard time picturing how it looks from inside the bathroom with the backplate to open and close it. Could you add a picture of that please?

• Tammie

Love love love this. Do you have to use sliders on the bottom of the door also. I’m just getting into these and haven’t figured it all out.

• Debbie

No there are floor guides in the kit but I just used 1 1/2” L brackets on to keep them from swinging out

• Wanda Barnes

A'll of your doors are absolutely stunning! This has given me some ideas for my home. Where did you buy all your material at to make and complete your barn doors? Thank you for sharing just a lovely idea❤😜

• Debbie

Amazon. Home Depot mostly

• 27524803

We did the same thing on a teeny jack and jill bath... it really made a HUGE difference in the available space... I shopped Ebay for the rail hardware.... found it for under $100 (6 ft) at that time.... I have seen the same thing on HOUZZ for under $60

I found 10 lite doors on clearance at Lowe's for $25 - $45 (we have a couple of bathrooms to do so I bought 6 (28 in, 30 in, & 32 in... the price was too good to pass up) We opted for the doors with glass because there is no window in that bath... we used the frosted film.. on both sides of the door... to give privacy... BUT any door will do...

Note: we live in a mobile home so Tim had to beef up the structure inside the walls above the doors to hold the extra weight.

• Amy27188770

Beautiful doors! Also, Iove your bathroom paint color. Do you know the name of the paint color?

• Mogie

So much more room and so beautiful. I plan on replacing my bathroom door now. Did you buy the hardware in a kit of each piece individually?

• Donna Morganti DeRossette

This turned out so very nice! I hadn’t seen your other bathroom project and like as well. Where did you find the framed silver flower? That is so unique!

• Tina

Love your decorating style!...how do you lock the door for the bathroom?..pic would be helpful..thanks

• Shuganne

She said she hasn't solved that dilemma yet, as there is very little clearance between the inside of the door and the wall it will slide along. I'm wondering if a recessed ring pull would work on a hollow core door. Do you have any suggestions?

• Debbie

Because I want to keep the trim casing the barn door latches don’t work. When the the door is closed, it means it’s in use. I have a back plate from a cabinet knob ( not using the knob). that creates just enough of an edge to open and close door. I could try a recessed plate, but I’m concerned that I wouldn’t be able to drill or hollow it out precisely enough and damage the door.

• Trina

I love the idea and wanted to do the same with my bathroom, my concern is how do you deal with the sound issues when someone is using the toilet? I especially love the cathedral mirror door.

• Debbie

Luckily my guest bathroom is farther down the hall from the living space. Door actually fits pretty close. Just barely clears casing. And the space under the doorway is fractional. And door is higher than casing. Also have exhaust fan though not loud deadens the sound.

• Kelli norris

Lol! I’m so glad someone else was thinking that too!

• Shuganne

I think I love you! I'm feeling sad I've missed earlier posts, but I am going to binge tonight and catch up. Your home is amazing.

The reason your decor really speaks to me is because I grew up on a farm, and, I'm sorry everyone who installed one, but barn doors belong on a barn. Yours, Debbie, look very little like barn doors except for the hardware on top. I applaud the idea of using a plain hollow core door so it isn't so heavy. I adore the finished mirror, and yes, it absolutely needed to be glued to the door if it's going to be traveling regularly.

Your taste is impeccable. Thank you for sharing this! Oops, guess I need to ask a question... Do you have a background or formal training, or is this just natural taste shining through?

• Debbie

Thank you. No training. Was is in insurance business. Boring but paid my bills. This gives me a chance to be creative.

• Tammie

I love everyone of your barn doors. Where can I see more of your stuff

• Debbie

thank you. You can look at my profile and see the projects that I’ve posted

• Ha Sciro

What keeps the bottom of the door stable?

• Debbie

The barn door kit has guides. I prefer to use 1 1/2” bronze L brackets.

• Jan

What do you use for the guide at the bottom of the door?

• Debbie

The barn door kit comes with a floor guide. I preferred using a 1 1/2” Bronze L Bracket

• Michael Taylor

The Barn Door kit uses an inexpensive floor guide. I used a Barn Door Floor Guide Roller by Topetek from Amazon.

• Denise Ferree

Very nice. I like the bedroom closet doors, but I would like a double hung set to put inside of my bathroom as there is no room on outside of wall. Was thinking of reusing a set of bifold doors on double hung barn doors and not messing up my new door frames (expensive). Any ideas without it costing $400. ?

• Patricia

Love this! That mirror just looks like it belongs on the dresser when the door is open. As far as door hardware ... Have you checked into pieces that are used for pocket doors? We have a recessed handle on a pocket door in our home. I'll attach a picture.

• Sal28945125

You have done some great work with your doors, they look awesome! Where did you get the hardware for your double hung door in the bedroom?

• Anna Jackson

HI would it be possible to put a pelmet over the slider rails?

• Cyndie Diamond Corbin

I really want to attempt this project. I was thinking about of putting a pocket door in. But this is a lot less expensive and I think it looks great. What is on the bottom of the door so it does not flap on the bottom. Thanks

• Claudia Hayes

I would like to try this for my kitchen, but it doesn't have a door. Would it be possible to just hang it from the wall that's over the walk-in? I would use the mirror to make my livingroom larger and one for my bedroom.

• All5737562

Where do you find the hardware for this sliding door and is it expensive

• Jennifer Cioni

When I click on the door hardware it brings me to Amazon with a multitude to pick from, which one do you use/recommend?

• Cheryl

genius, love it! I wonder tho if door fits flush with the molding. In order words is privacy in issue?

• Debbie

It fits fairly close but it does have to clear the trim.

• Susie

How do you close the door while in the bathroom? It seems a little awkward. I live what you have done. What an inspirational idea.

• All33571334

She put the back plate of a knob. I would think a sunken handle would work best. The sit flush to the door a ring usually flips up for use

• Vicki

Brilliant

• Marla Berk

I’m so inspired to do this to create more floor space. Is there anything tricky about thanking the doors over existing door Moulding? Are there gaps?

Thank you

• Debbie

As I said in the post. Add a couple of extra washers to the screws that attach the railing into the studs so that there is just enough clearance to allow for the casing.

• Dfiorin3

do you have instructions on how you did the cathedral sliding door?

• Pat Downie

How do I save this? I selected the heart shape but I do not know what that did & if it saved it where did it save it?

• Debbie

I don’t know. Try the ask box

• Kare

Tap the circle with the letter P in it for Pinterest and it will take you to Pinterest where you can save it to your board.

• Marj MRC Creations

Pat, if you hover over your icon (your profile pic) at the very top on the right, you will see a drop-down menu. One of the choices is 'saved projects'. Click that, and it will bring you to all the projects you've saved here at Hometalk. no need to leave the site. Hope that helps! :D

• Elaine Locati

Your barn door ideas are a wonderful improvement idea. We have two sets of bi-fold closet doors that need to be replaced and your barn door is the answer. Thanks for sharing. How do I save the instructions?

• Debbie

I’m sorry. I don’t know I have saved projects before but I couldn’t find the save option for it.

• Angela C.

Email it to yourself.

• Leona Ayres

What did you do about the wall plug in that got covered by your lovely "picture"? What great ideas for mounting pictures behind a barn door. I was wondering how I was going to do that on our wall behind our coming soon 8' barn door.

• MLR

Any ideas out there (or pics of it already being done) on use of a sliding barn door over a window? Our king size bed (60" long) sits under a 42" wide window. No headboard, about a approximately 12" gap from pillow height to bottom of window frame.

• Sherry

Cant help you with that MLR, but pherhaps you might find some ideas off You Tube or Pinterest.

• Bob Pittsley

The versitlity of barn doors is any size works for height. Install washers behind rail to clear moulding around window. I would use chair moulding the same thickness as window moulding so bottom of door covers it. You could use single door or double doors for shutter look and intall handles on each side of bed. Have fun and use your imagination

imagination. The true beauty of dyi

Bob

• Debbie

Sorry. Without see the project I can’t comment

• Annette

I work night shift and I think that would be an awesome way to block light while sleeping! I think someone should do this and share the process. I'm not good at this kind of diy but if I had a tutorial to follow I might be able to pull it off.

• Beth

Id use 2 sliding doors to open on both sides of your window like she did for her closet. Just cut them shorter to fit your window.

• Ellen Dombkiewicz

I would just get a kit of hardware for the door slider style that you want ; put plywood painted in the size that you need to cover your window like a double slider going from inside out . Similar to what is displayed in the picture .

• Renee

I found a old door at a Habitat for humanity thrift store, and made it into a Headboard. Its the same size as my king sized bed, and the same size as the window. It keeps the light comming in and makes a great headboard, just paint it before putting it to the bedframe, i didnt tho

.

• MLR

Thank you all for sharing some great ideas! Similar to Annette above... I'm not super creative and woodworking is not my are of expertise. I'll share more if/when I get to this project. So tired of looking at the drab that is there now!

• Divababiexoxo

I work the night shift also. I use blackout curtains to block the light and just tape the sides of the curtain to the wall, works perfect. I don't have to build anything

• ShelbyNeen

Love this project. Thank you for the inspiration.

-

I HAVE to ask - where did you get the wall art in the bathroom? Did it come framed and is it metal? I have looked all over the internet for it and can't find anything comparable.

• Sarge

When did you say you were coming to NY?

• Debbie

Sorry. I’m a Florida girl. Cold front today. Only 55* going to 78*

• Sarge

hahaha. my brother also moved to florida and tells me the same thing!!

• Jennifer Morgan

I'm ready for it to be in the 70's again but looks like we're heading for an early summer. I'm in Sebastian, Fl

• Jenlove

I love everyone of your barn door especially the cathedral one. Where can I find the plans for it. Or all the others. What’s the cost for the barn door hardware. Great job

• Debbie

The plans are in the post. Sizes depend on your opening. Got the hardware at Amazon

• Susan Barutt

I’m curious. We’re you able to somehow sound-proof the bathroom barn door for privacy? Isn’t there a gap between the bottom of the door and the floor?