Patricia
Patricia
  • Lebanon, OH

Easy Fix for Missing Drawer Pulls

$5

I found this desk at a thrift store and fell in love with it at first sight! Overall it was in good condition except the center drawer was missing the drawer pull. No worries though -- there's an easy fix!
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
The first thing I did after bringing it home was to give it a good cleaning. I knew it was a vintage piece, but underneath the drawers I discovered date stamps showing the actual year it was built was in 1901. It was manufactured by the Widdicomb Furniture Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Each phase of the manufacturing process was stamped with the date and the name of the craftsman. This made the desk even more special to me.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
I try to use good judgement when deciding whether to paint a piece or not. A previous owner had already painted it, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to paint it again.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
I actually liked the painted finish except for the top as the brush stokes were a bit bumpy for a desk top. I did strip the paint from the top and stained it, but the stained finish turned out too blotchy, so I decided to proceed with painting.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
But first I needed to address the missing drawer pull. Rather than sourcing a matching drawer pull, or instead buying three new pulls, I decided to use a single knob that I had left over from a previous project. So I needed to fill in the existing holes.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
An easy way to fill in the existing holes is to first place painter's tape on the back of the hole.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
Next I added a small amount of wood filler to a syringe. Using the syringe eliminates air bubbles which can cause the wood filler to crack after it dries.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
Then I injected the wood filler into the holes. The tape I placed on the back of the hole earlier will hold the wood filler in place until it dries.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
I applied additional wood filler to the surface and used a putty knife to smooth it out. After the wood filler was completely dry I used 220-grit sandpaper to sand it smooth. Next I used a power drill to add a single hole for the new knob (sorry no photos of this step because I needed both hands to use the drill!)
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
Although the replacement knob is not an exact match, I think it coordinates well with the existing hardware.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
Here's a closer view of the replacement drawer knob.
easy fix for missing drawer pulls
Thanks for reading through this project. I hope you found the information helpful and if you'd like to see more photos, please visit my blog post. I'd also like to invite you to stop by my blog, The Black Sheep Shoppe, to see what other projects I am working on.

Please note the cost and time estimates for this project are just that -- estimates. I already had the knob, wood filler, tape, and the syringes on hand.

Patricia

• Wxw

Absolutely beautiful! Great find and transformation. First dibs if you would like to sell. Serious.

• Patricia

Thank you WXW. This piece already sold, but thank you for your interest.

• B. Enne

Wow, one of the best I have seen to date!