What is the best way to remove grass?

+5
I try to keep it dug out and don't like using chemicals but it seems it always comes back. How far down should I dig to remove it permantly?

• Jan Clark Jan Clark on Jun 12, 2018
    Different grasses grow differently. Some throw seeds, other send out runners underground. If you're digging out, then I'm guessing the grass is just sending out more runners. You can kill it with vinegar if you don't want any grass at all. If the grass is unwanted in just one area, you're going to need to install a barrier (steel edging works really well) and pound it in several inches. Use the vinegar for any stragglers.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 12, 2018
    id chemicals did not work, try smothering it out with heavy black plastic
  • Sam Sam on Jun 12, 2018
    I have had success by taking a page from permaculture. Cover the area with cardboard and leave it for the winter. If you don't like the look cover with mulch. I have also used heavy weed block fabric.
  • S.h. S.h. on Jun 12, 2018
    Bermuda grass or devil grass stolons or runners can go down over a foot deep and if you leave even half an inch behind it will regrow. If it is just a clump with no runners, digging out the clump gets red of it. It is a constant chore and I want to curse "Adam" every time I am out pulling weeds.
  • Helen Dunbar Helen Dunbar on Jun 12, 2018
    Sprinkle baking soda on the area.. Does a great job.
  • Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Jun 12, 2018
    Once the roots are gone it will not come back . . . unless . . . you have grass growing nearby. Grass sends runners underground and will spring up as far as 3 feet away. You would need to place a barrier at the edge of your existing grass that goes down at least 18 inches.