Kitchen cabinets

+4
Our kitchen cabinets are over 30 years old and you do health issues there is no way that I will ever be able have new ones what can I do besides painting Them to achieve A new and updated look

• Amanda Amanda on Jun 12, 2018
    Hi Lela. You could change out the hardware and add wooden trim around them. You could also put contact paper on them. Good Luck.
  • Gk Gk on Jun 12, 2018
    You can clean them well and update around them. I have 35 year old cabinets and I removed some of the doors, painted the inside white and added some wallpaper/Contac paper to the back. I added some ship lap in the kitchen as a back splash and on one wall. I painted all my walls and added some art work, coordinating towels and rugs, curtains and changed out canisters. Looks fresh and clean.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jun 12, 2018
    You can have them refaced... the cost is less than replacing them but painting is still the least expensive option.... before you decide... do a little research...
    HomeAdvisor.com or Angieslist.com is a free referral service. The can give you a listing of reference checked and verified companies and handy people.
    Get estimates on:
    Kitchen refacing company:
    -refacing the cabinets...
    -refacing the cabinets and replacing the doors in a different style
    Handyman/Handywoman or Painting contractor/company:
    -painting the cabinets.. inside and out
    -painting the cabinets.. just on the outside
    -painting the cabinet boxes and replacing the doors
    AND before you do any of that... check out DIYnetwork.com or HGTV.com or Pinterest.com and find a LOOK that you like.... print off the pictures... this will give the contractors and Handymen a definite idea of what you want done.... it would not hurt to have a color palette chosen before you talk to them too. . ... and they may have some good suggestions as well.

• Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Jun 12, 2018
    If they have wooden inserts you can remove those and use frosted glass in some of the doors. Changing out the hardware is definitely the easiest way to go, but not the cheapest! You can also do stencils to give them some character
  • All these folks have great ideas!
  • Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 12, 2018
    Amanda's suggestion of changing the hardware is brilliant. Good luck
  • Debra Debra on Jun 12, 2018
    Good wood is a keeper. Clean them inside and out with soapy water and let dry. I painted my 70's cabinet doors with Behr exterior satin. Look the savings $$$$.