Log Floor (Handmade)

$300
Advanced

This is a at the Slaughterbeck Floors website.

burl floor handmade, diy, flooring, woodworking projects, Cutting the tree into 3 4 thick rounds
We started by getting our materials ready. We cut a fallen tree into 3/4" thick rounds.
burl floor handmade, diy, flooring, woodworking projects, The boards stacked up
Here are the boards that were cut from the tree all stacked up. There were a lot of them! Next, they have to be placed within the framework of the floor.
burl floor handmade, diy, flooring, woodworking projects, The are placed within the framework
For this step, the logs are placed in the framework along with smaller log sections to fill the gaps between the large plates. This also helps to give the floor a beautiful, varied look. Also, using a mix of logs gives you a mix of wood in different grains and colors.
burl floor handmade, diy, flooring, woodworking projects, Gaps are fille with resin sawdust mixture
The gap filler material that we added between all the rounds is resin mixed with sawdust. It's a clever and low-cost trick that always comes in handy. The top is then coated with polyurethane.
burl floor handmade, diy, flooring, woodworking projects
The last step is sanding & finishing the floor (this is a different floor we made if you're counting the large rounds).
burl floor handmade, diy, flooring, woodworking projects, The finished Log Floor
Voila! A beautiful, custom log floor ready to be installed.

To see more: https://www.slaughterbeckfloors.com/services/burl/

• Mic9129905

any issue with using 'wet' wood? you do not say if dried, or for how long

• Mcgypsy9

Beautiful job! Most probably don’t know much about resin. It’s a wonderful product to work with and really no need at all to worry about bugs in the wood or even the type of wood, wether it be rotted or not. Once covered In the resin it will never move again and is quite beautiful. I am interested though as to how the resin and polyurethane work together? Thanks for sharing this great flooring!

• Danielle

This is a very cool project, but did you dry the wood before incorporating it into the floor?

• Anne-Marie Hage

If I don't have a fallen tree, do you know where i can buy the wood rounds?

• Linda Hunt

Hello Anne-Marie, any lumber mill would be able to help you. Good luck and enjoy the beauty.

• Rebecca L guertler

sawmill may have round wood

• Tammy Schofield

I wonder if you could use the ends of those wooden spools that usually end up at dump? That's what I thought this was at first....then you are recycling also

• None

Amazing but was the floor moved to somewhere else and if so how?

• Carol Bauers

When you say the floor is “ready to be installed”, does that mean you do not create it in place? Could it be created in place? It’s beautiful!

• Julie Craig

STUNNING piece in a wood-floor entryway! Did you "dry" the wood for an extended amount of time?

• Kelly-n-Tony

It's inspirational for sure but can you provide the tutorial of it so we can do it ourselves?

• Lana

Beautiful!! Can this also be used as a feature WALL?? Or even a wall-hanging in a smaller size?? Or a stunning table-top?? Great job!!

• Zatanique

I wonder how well this would stand up to outdoor use? Set in a concrete frame and then heavily sealed in resin, instead of the polyeurothane...could it be used for a patio???

• Heather Hill

Hi I am Heather Crowley with Crowley Tree. That is amazing, I am in love. We, sadly, are in Illinois but my husband has been talking about having some of our nicer logs milled to sell as planks. I think this is going to be the next craze in flooring. Do you know how I can get CTE in touch with buyers for our wood? Right now for instance I have the most beautiful Black Walnut logs. yesterday I loaded seasoned Mulberry that was an amazing marbly purple and brown - the colors and patterns only mother nature does you know? Our contact info is on the website if someone has any interest; we would! Thank you, Heather www.crowleytree.com

• Alisa Peavey

I love this idea, especially since I have a huge limb in my yard ( of water oak). It's like upcycling Nature!!

• Russ

Epoxy resin and saw dust ratio??? and how high do you fill between logs??? - Looks great.

• Esp10400215

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL. VERY CREATIVE! Will you be my son?

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Absolutely love this, but wouldn’t it be easier to install in place? I would think trying to move such a large floor would be difficult.

• Marie

Is it slippery when wet?

• Sandy

Where did you end up putting this and how did you move this, how do you keep it clean? marvelous just marvelous.

• Katherine Oakes

How big did you make your square? Did you use Tongue & groove around the outside to create a larger pattern? Thanks for your best idea to date! We will have to try this one out!!!

• Rhonda Perkins-Tanner

Did you just cut a live tree, slice it and use? Or was it dead and already dry? Did you check the moisture levels in the slices or just use as is? It is amazing looking.

• Richard King

Just looking at the color is a dead tree, BUT if you want to cut one, make the plates (round cuts) and let it dry. Voilà !!!!

• Sandy

can this be done on 3/4 plywood and then used vertically as a headboard once it has cured?

• Christine Hollifield

Can you stain the resin

• Holly

You can stain over the resin but it does not accept the stain. That is why you add the sawdust to it. That helps tint it to the color of your wood.

• K

Beautiful! I imagine it would have to be in sections because of the weight. If you wanted to do an entire floor like this, would you need extra support beam(s) underneath?

Also, did you have to wipe away dust after sanding, or just seal right over it?

Thank you for sharing!

• Marte Phillip

Does the tree need to dry out and cure for any length of time before being used?

• Rachel Smith

If it gets too dry it might split i have seen vids vids of oil curing where the wood is oiled by boiling it in a vat

• Hughes Delma

What what is between the log rounds some kind of grout or what do you use? It is beautiful I love it.🎶✌😀

• Julie Hanscom

This would be neat on a small scale as a cutting board as well I would imagine? I might try ti !

• Jackie Grice

Can this be put over any kind of floor? I'm on a concrete slab, and have about 7 sweet gum trees in my backyard and a couple of Bradford Pears that I HATE AND SINCE IT'S GOING TO COST A FORTUNE to cut them down , I was hoping I could put thrm to use.

• Alisa Peavey

I think as long as you keep in mind the thickness and if it needs to change for doors ect. Also I would highly suggest that it is sealed super good. Like multiple times. I have a concrete slab that I faux painted to look like tile 25 years ago and it still looks great. I love walking on it in bare feet although my Grandpa said my knees will regret it someday.

• Darlene Thompson Temples

How heavy is the flooring once the piece is finished? Your steps said now it is ready to be installed, so i assume it can be built and then moved to another area?

• Chuck Price

What kind of resin?

• Caren Baird

We just had to cut down our 60ft tall sweet gum tree due to the drought here in California. After reading this and seeing the beautiful results, I think we will use some of the wood as part of our decking. We left the stump in at the height needed to use as a base for our table top made from an old solid wood door. Being the tree was probably as old as our 1945 bungalow, it will add character as well as a story to the history of our little oasis we call home :-)

• Sharalen Lawhon

Beautiful !