What to do with my back splash and counters? NOT doing my cupboards

+13
Here is my considered options: I am considering painting my current backsplash white...and the grout lines black to mock the look of sub way tiles...and then painting the counters black. OR....considering a grey counter. I have put up poster boards to mimic the looks..OR...how about doing a 'whitewash' for the back splash...with some grey and black thrown in? Or would that not work..because it is tile? But I really want a 'high gloss' look to it as well to mimic tiles....will paint do that if I use 'high gloss paint?' I can NOT afford to remodel the whole thing by ripping out what I have....AND I am SO afraid to screw it up!!!
BUT look at that awful FLOOR I am trying to work with..oh my!! And I currently am not doing my cupboards.... I can NOT get on the painted bandwagon...May stain them 'darker' one day.
Now I just need some reader opinions.....so "HIT" me with your best shots...PLEASE !!!! I have posted this already...and only got 5 replies...I NEED more opinions...!!!!!
I am in the current process of putting greys throughout my house...the dining room which is attached to the kitchen...will shortly have a black painted ceiling and a grey cove with grey walls....black and red accessories. My house has red everywhere....The living room...which is on the other side of the kitchen...has a grey couch...black, grey and red area rug.
q what to do with my back splash and counters not doing my cupboards