Bathroom Lighting problem

I have been doing a bathroom remodel for the last few months. I do the part I can handle - painting, hanging the vanity mirror & towel racks, etc. I have someone else doing the other things - repair to the floor, installing new flooring, the vanity & toilet. We have had a few heated discussions - can’t have a pedestal sink because your plumbing comes thru the floor, not the wall - after I purchased the sink & hardware.
The last discussion - and my last straw- was about the lighting over the vanity. At this point there is wiring hanging out of the wall from the old fixture. The gentleman said “no way will that lighting work!”. He explained that it would require a “box”. Further the wall would have to be torn out to install the box & I had to exchange the fixture.
i am assuming the box is a transformer & is it really necessary to “tear out“ the wall? It’s an LED track light & exactly what I was looking for!

• Wendy Wendy on Jun 14, 2018
    Hi there, sorry to hear you are butting heads with your contractor. It seems like all LED bulbs require a 'driver' (a special type of transformer) to work properly. Is this what he was referring to?
  • John Grimley John Grimley on Jun 14, 2018
    Can't have a pedestal sink because your plumbing comes through the floor? And you have confidence in this guy? I'm in my 50s and only once have I seen a bathroom sink where the services are in the wall and exit just below the sink, all the rest have come up out of the floor - the hot, cold and drain are always grouped together so they can be hidden behind or inside the pedestal - which is simply a 'U' shaped plinth - the U shape hides a bottle trap and (nowadays) the flexible pipes connecting the taps to the main pipework. If that's too hard for him then you need to get rid.
    As for the light. Many modern LED fittings don't use the drivers, it tends to be the recessed fittings with the flood/spot bulbs as the modern LED bulbs incorporate the driver into the bulb itself. I'm partway through a programme of swapping out the long-life fluorescent lamps for LEDs (but the fluorescents are lasting years!!) and it's as simple as remove old, install new!
    There should be some instructions with the light fitting when you bought it, these should tell you if it can be connected directly to an existing light fitting.
    In any case, if a driver is required, it can be mounted remotely & the old lighting cable pulled out of the wall (whilst connecting the new, driver, cable so it is pulled through at the same time).
    • Lex Lex on Jun 14, 2018
      Do I have confidence in the guy? Not anymore. You live, you learn. He was recommended by a friend who had one simple repair done. For my bathroom, it started with new flooring under the toilet where it had rotted. He said he could put the flooring down, set the new toilet & sink. That day took care of any questions about his capabilitIt’s.
      He would tell me what to buy, but no specifications or detail. Get track light for over the vanity. Of course it was something he didn’t want to work with. He told me to exchange the lighting & he would install it. But I didn’t. I got someone to do the work. The rest I’ll do myself.