Patriotic Clothes Pin Wreath

$4

I love making wreaths and trying out different types of methods and products and styles of wreaths. For several years now I have wanted to make a clothespin wreath with a patriotic theme but know that on Pinterest that type of project has been done many many times.

But I decided that it wasn't going to stop me from making one of my own for my side entrance, even if I didn't blog about it. In the end I completed the wreath and decided to share it on the blog anyway. It was just so much fun to make.

Gather supplies.

I found all of the materials I needed to make the clothespin wreath at the Dollar Tree, even the wire wreath form. All for $1 each. I got the wire form and three packs of clothespins. I already had white spray paint in my craft supplies.

Spray paint all supplies with white spray primer.

The first thing I did was to spray paint the wire form and the clothespins with a base coat of white spray paint and primer.

This took several attempts to get a good coat of paint on the clothespins because they soak up a lot of paint. I didn't know that before I started this process but I certainly will remember it for the next attempt at making a clothespin wreath.

Clip on the clothespins to create a design and style.

Another thing I didn't realize before I attempted a clothespin wreath is that the clothespins DO NOT stay on the wire form as easily as you would think. I wanted to play around with the placement and design of the pins before I glued them in place so I first tried to just hook them on the wire rings.

And caught them as they popped off and flew off the table - several times - a hilariously amount of times!

I was finally able to find a pattern that looked full with several layers that also didn't cause tension between the pins to make them pop off.

Paint in different colors as your design needs.

Once I had a good placement and pattern I could them add the navy and red paint colors to each individual row of pins to create the look I wanted.

Once all of the paint was dry, I hot glued the pins in place and added a decorative bow from burlap ribbon with a star pattern that I still had leftover from a previous project.

Using up old craft supplies is definitely a bonus for any project.

Add a bow and hang.

With a patriotic themed wreath at my back entrance, I can enjoy it all summer and until the Labor Day holiday too.

Donna Powell

• Sharon Hampton

How do you make a magazine wreath ?

• Maxine Crawford

So you paint the red and blue afterwards

• Donna Powell

Hey Maxine,

I wasn't sure of how many of each color I needed until I figured out how I wanted the wreath to look so that is why I waited to paint them.

• Mary Hofstra

I was also wondering about the red and blue pins! It looks like all The clothespin are on the wreath at the beginning and they're all white. So did you paint them while they were still on the wreath? Or take off all the ones you wanted red, paint them, replace them and then repeat with the blue?

• Shorton25

That’s how I did it. You can really get the red and blue paint on them really bright that way.