How I Gave a New Purpose to My Vintage Copper Pots

$0

I have a basement that is full of hidden, and sometimes unwanted treasures. My mission for the past few years has been trying to reduce the clutter in that basement. And you know that saying about one man's trash is another's treasure.

Well, case in point the two copper pots you see below. They were vintage so I couldn't see getting rid of them. At the same time, I wanted them to have a purpose and not
how i gave a new purpose to my vintage copper pots
With the summer coming on, I wanted to find a use for them, to use them outdoors and show them off a bit.
The first step was to clean them up a bit using some very simple ingredients. A good rub with salt and lemons did the trick.
You can see how easily they shine up and what a difference these ingredients made.
Once they were clean I wanted to give them a purpose. As luck would have it I came up with the idea of a rock garden. I added some soil and then stuck some rocks in, that I had previously painted. 
The other pot was used as a planter for real plants, not rocks. I even used the covers but with a whole different look. You can see that when you click on the link at the end.
And when I was done with all that repurposing I placed them on  my summer balcony which is also full of repurposed items. Because we don't need to spend a fortune to have a pretty balcony or porch.
Mary - The Boondocks Blog

• Christine Romero

How do you get rid of ants

• Mary Moore

A trick to get rid of tiny bug (maybe ants) in planters is to add 2-3 drops of Dawn dish soap to one gallon water & water as you would regularly with this concoction for a month or two.

We had rental plants at a corporate office I worked at & the hired professional plant crew told me this will get rid of tiny crawlers & those tiny fliers too.

Every fall when I bring my plants indoors, I do this again.

Good Luck!

Mary

• Christine Romero

How do you get rid of ants

• Mary Moore

Another option is if the ants are outdoors & coming from who knows where, they sell ant killer which is a granual you sprinkle around where they are a nuisance. I used to do an entire 360° perimeter of a home I ised to live in. Turns out they were living inside my rotted out exterior door. REPLACED THAT! But, it helped me narrow down where they were.

😘

good luck.

Mary

• Christine Romero

How do you get rid of ants

• Lou22366171

For the sticky stuff left from the label I use WD40 sprayed on the bottle or you can spray WD40 on a paper town ( small amount )depends on how large the glue surface is. The color should stay the same. Then clean up hot soapy water or dish washer. WD40 works on any surface. Mirrors, glass and plastic too.

• Jeanette Kent

I am inclined to agree with Jeanne Taylor. I think that the copper lids were used to keep the food inside the pots, moist. I think that it's a very clever idea to make them like that and the lids which can be easily picked up, then become serving dishes. How wonderfully creative! I would suggest putting a little white sand into your beaded jar so that the tea light is raised and a bit more visible. Otherwise I think it is a splendid idea. Since the lids balance so well and one is quite shallow, I would also consider making a miniature garden in one of them. You could use plastic or real plants and add small plastic bridges, houses, fairies and even a false pond (using a partly submerged mirror in sand. It could be a great on-going project if this idea appeals to you. If the deeper lud is big enough, you might even be able to use as a wine cooler, adding ice to your upturned lid and a bottle of wine. If you don't like that idea, you could always drink the wine and let the ice evaporate while you contemplated what else to do with it. Enjoy your patio! Regards from Jeanette Kent (jeanettelkent@gmail.com) in Edgemead, Cape Town, South Africa.