How I Revitalized a Dark Shelf With Mod Podge

$8

What do you do when you move into a house and find this black shelf in your bedroom but it doesn't fit your style at all?

It is situated above my desk and it looked like it was about to topple over and crash on my head because of that dark color.

I tried to live with this black shelf for months! Really I did! But as I was redoing the rest of the room I realized that I wanted to keep the black accents to
how i revitalized a dark shelf with mod podge
I had already painted some other pieces in the room in a vintage, shabby chic style, like this mirror. The black needed to go.

Did I also paint it, like the mirror? No, instead I chose to decoupage it!

I found an old book that I had once tried to read, but it was so bad I ended up using it to decoupage my china cabinet. I guess I am just partial to that look. So why not do it on the shelf?

I decoupaged the whole thing using mod podge and even painted the bracket on the side so it would blend it.

I always tear my pages instead of cutting them because it gives a more natural look. I only use scissors to cut for where the pages are placed on the edges.

It took me a few hours and of course, I had to add the mod podge on top to seal it in. But I think it was well worth it in the end.

See how pretty it looks now with all my things on it. Not a dark thing sticking out like a sore thumb, like before.

Would you be able to help me in a dilemma I'm having with the desk below this shelf? If so, click on the link below.

Mary - The Boondocks Blog