Morena Hockley
Morena Hockley
  • San Antonio, TX

Patio Door Refresh

$20
1 Day

I just LOVE bright doors. I think they are a very cheery way to welcome people to your home. One of my favorite areas of my home is a small courtyard that we had built when we bought the house. This courtyard is the only place I can grown my favorite tropical flowers where the deer and my dogs won’t destroy them!
patio door refresh
I gave my courtyard a makeover by painting the boring doors in this bold Mid Century Orange color using DecoArt’s Curb Appeal paint.  This paint is specially made for outdoor surfaces like doors, and shutters. 
patio door refresh
Step one:  Use a water hose and sprayer to remove dust and dirt from the doors.  Let the doors dry completely.
Step two:  Use painters tape where the glass touches the wood. Tape all the edges to keep paint off the glass. If you do get some paint smudges on the glass, they can easily be scraped off later.
Step three:  Begin with the trim around the glass.  Paint over the entire trim, being sure to cover all of the notched edges.
Step four:  Use a wide, flat brush to paint the flat portion of the door.  Use up and down strokes to paint the rest of the door.
patio door refresh
Step five:  Remove the painter’s tape from the glass and admire your new door!

This paint goes a looooong way!  I didn’t even use an entire bottle to cover both of these doors!  These doors get a lot of direct sunlight in the afternoon and they still look great a year later.  If you want to update the exterior of your home without breaking the bank, a front door refresh is s great way to do it.
patio door refresh
PS. Curb Appeal isn’t just for doors!  Check out this  rocking chair refresh I did using red paint!

• Curb Appeal Paint in Modern Orange  (DecoArt)
  • Painter's Tape
Morena Hockley

• Karen Puddin Merrill

My patio doors are in desperate need of a refresh. They are white..BORING. I was told the trim around the glass was plastic and door paint wouldn't adhere. Help. Suggestions please.

• Bonnie

I spray painted a plastic storage cart. Lightly sand it to make the paint adhere better. Hth!