Rebecca Hirst
Rebecca Hirst
  • Shelbyville, KY

kitchen table and stool makeover

2.5 Days

I had a kitchen table for about 16 years that had been passed to my daughter and she in her young children had really worn it out so when she decided to move out of her apartment I decided to bring the table back to my house and make it over for her.. So what do you think of my results? I'm very new at this so honest opinions are appreciated.
I began by sanding the table to get the shininess off of it try to get it down to the bare wood but there were many red kool-aid type stains. I did not want to buy paint. So I began to go look through whatever paint I had and decided that anything that I could do to the table would be an improvement. I chose a putty color to paint and then I had a fluer de lis stencil and decided to stencil that and then I mod podged patchwork papers in the middle. Originally I had written "family" in the middle with silver acrylic paint however it was ugly and it looks very first grade so I decided to cover it up and I chose to modge podge to do that. I polyurethaned two coats and then I spray painted the stools with some spray painted that I had around the house and then I had some gold Martha Stewart acrylic paint and I use that for the seat for one still in for the decoration around the bottom of the black stool. Aww no it wasn't very difficult however I'm just not a very good painter so any tips with painting stripes or design or drying times between coats and sanding between coats I'm still trying to get all of that damn so I appreciate your opinion thank you very much
[temp_media_id:]
kitchen table and stool makeover, kitchen design, painted furniture
One coat fast dry primer
I re stained the legs and bottom and painted the top a putty color.
these were just playing 20 year old oak bar stools that I repaired with Gorilla Glue and spray painted the gold is Martha Stewart acrylic paint

• Candy Walsh

It's beautiful~I'm sure your daughter loves it! What is the inlay in the center of the finished table?