DIY American Flag - With Tile Scraps

$10

One of the perks of being a DIY-er is that your friends know just who to give their random and seemingly useless things to.

When one of those friends called and asked if I wanted a box of tile scraps, I didn't realize I'd get some pieces perfectly suited for making a unique American Flag decor piece.
diy american flag with tile scraps
This is what she gave me: mostly long strips, a few wider strips, and a couple of square pieces.
diy american flag with tile scraps
When I pulled them out to think about what I might make with them, I noticed that quite a few were exactly the same length and width - perfect stripes!

And one of the square pieces fit nicely in the corner. Now...time to clean them up.
diy american flag with tile scraps
All these tile pieces were actually scraps from a new tiling job my friend and her husband had done at their house. As the installer worked, he cut to fit, and it was these leftover pieces that he tossed into the "trash" pile in their yard.

So dusty from the job, I cleaned them up to reveal the gorgeous grey barn wood pattern. I had planned to paint them red and white - and the square blue, but when I saw how pretty they were, I really hated to cover it up with such strong colors.
diy american flag with tile scraps
That's when one of my teenagers came along and asked what I was doing. A short conversation later, and I totally had my dilemma fixed. I'd paint them shades of grey instead.

I used a pre-cut piece of plywood from Lowe's for the background, and after painting the tile pieces, I painted the plywood white, then sprayed the tiles and plywood with a clear coat.
diy american flag with tile scraps
I found some cute wooden stars at Michael's and painted them white, then added a second coat of glitter silver.

With everything painted and dry, I used construction adhesive to attach them to the plywood, and gave it 24 hours to dry. These tile pieces are pretty heavy and I wanted to make sure they had a good set before standing it up.
diy american flag with tile scraps
Finally, I used my Cricut Maker to cut out some vinyl letters in blue and red. They added a pop of color and balanced out the project.
diy american flag with tile scraps
I love how it turned out, and even Barney is feeling more patriotic now - in his casual cat way.
diy american flag with tile scraps
So the next time someone asks you if you want something that may be considered "trash", be sure to say YES!
To Work With My Hands

• Dani

Beautiful . Loved the way the shades of color work and the final project.. thanks for sharing

• Brenda Moon

The American flag should always be red, white and blue -- red the laws of the Flag.