Adele DuranGO
Adele DuranGO
  • Tutorial Team
  • Bayfield, CO

Easiest Way to Get Rid Of Ants on Feeders

$0

"Hmmm." I wondered.
Why aren't the hummingbirds using one of my two feeders anymore? They used to, but now they don't.
Was it the color? The spouts? The mixture of sugar to water?
I'll post a pic and you see if you can figure it out.

easiest way to get rid of ants on feeders, 3 feeders One of them is NOT being used
3 feeders. One of them is NOT being used.
Take a guess WHICH of these feeders is NO LONGER BEING USED.
Green, butterfly or red.
easiest way to get rid of ants on feeders
Here's a clue.
One of these feeders has these ants coming to them, the others do not.
Hummingbirds will not use a feeder that has ants on it.
Would you?
This one! The green one.
I just figured out why.
It is easy for ants to climb the cord but they avoid the ones suspended with thin wire or fishing line.
Hundreds of ants were on this feeder and the beam above it, attracted to the sugar water.
What to do?
FIRST I corrected my mistake...
by rehanging the feeder on a thin wire

(Edit added for clarification)
I waited and watched the troops unsuccessfully attempting full retreat.
They slipped and slid trying to get up the thin wire, frantically bumping into one another, sliding back down.

Then, I put them out of their misery.
I made a mix of half vinegar : half water in a spray bottle, and sprayed the beam and feeder.
Finally, I hosed it all down, nice and clean.

easiest way to get rid of ants on feeders, Ant free feeders
Ant-free feeders
All three feeders are now ANT FREE.
Hung high out of the way suspended from a thin wire or fishing line.
No, you do NOT need to make or buy an ant moat or trap, grease with use vaseline or butter, or keep poisoning the critters ...
Sometimes the simplest solution is to outthink your enemies.
Don't give them a ladder if you don't want them to climb in.

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 13, 2018 11:01 PM - More info

• Sag31693537

Thanks. Now, how do I get rid of wasps on the feeders?

• Despoina Alisafaki

First I wanted to say beautiful feeders ,and second I wanted to ask what you can do with ants on your flowers . Because in that case they use the flowers or the tree as a ladder  so do you know if the water with the vinegar will harm the flowers? Thanks

• She12365891

Have you ever used spray cooking oil? Ants won't cross oil. My feeders are on a wrought iron stakes. Lightly spray about !/2 way up so butterflies won't get in the oil. And please don't put red food color in with your sugar water. They don't like it and a lady on another site says it will kill Hummers.

• Pat Walker Sparks

I don't believe they eat ants. If that were true, there would not be an ant problem on the feeders. I have never seen them eating them on the feeders.

• Pam

We bought ant traps sold at home improvement stores specifically for this problem. They work year after year! We have them on all our feeders.

• Janet Bertholf

I tried the white vinegar and water trick, then hung it on a piece of fishing line. It did not work, next day the ants were back

• Adele DuranGO

hmmmm. dunno why. The feeders hang right outside my sliding doors, where I enjoy doing my computer work and eating, so I see them most of the day. 10 days later I noticed a troop returning, maybe a dozen +, so I used the vinegar and water again. While I was at it, I took the hints from other comments and used PAM spray on the line. So far so good.