Easy Homemade Bug Repelling Candle

$5

I don’t know about you but I think one of my favorite parts about summer (and living in the north county where we have warm nights) is eating dinner outside. Al fresco dining makes me slow down and not only enjoy my meal and scenery a bit more, but I feel less rushed to jump up and clean the kitchen after dinner and actually enjoy conversation. I guess it’s that out of sight out of mind mentality. But with that there is always a flip side that can bug you, and in this case I really do mean bug. Pesky mosquitoes can easily ruin your ambiance, so why not add to the ambiance but also add some functionality? Plus these candles are super easy to make and actually really pretty, would make for a great wedding centerpiece in an outdoor reception.

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
easy homemade bug repelling candle
Supplies:
  • plant clipping (see list above)
  • small mason jars
  • tea light candles
  • essential oils
  • water
easy homemade bug repelling candle
All these plants can be planted by your front door, on a patio or even by a window sill for some quick clippings. I happen to have a few of these plants growing and took a stab….here are some specific plants I used and the bugs I was trying to repel...
  • Mint, Rosemary, lemon thyme – repels mosquitos
  • Bay Leaves- repels flies
  • Lavender- repels moths, fleas, mosquitos
  • Basil- repels flies and mosquitos
easy homemade bug repelling candle
Fill your jars about 1/2 way with water and add your plant clipping combos based on what you are wanting to repel…
easy homemade bug repelling candle
You can even add a few drops of essential oils to really up the functionality, plus it smells amazing!
easy homemade bug repelling candle
Enjoy the outdoors, pest free!
xo
Sam

Zest it Up

• Cindy Lynch

Won't the tea lights just sink?? Do you have to pack the jar with greens to support the light?

• Carri Curler

Hi i love this idea....would jasmin work for oil??

• Zest it Up

Hi Carri! Great question. Lavender is the best essential oil to use when repelling bugs. We think peppermint, basil, pine, lemon eucalyptus, tea tree, thyme, and lemongrass are all great alternatives as well.

• Sarge

I love to burn candles but with my new Grands around I have to refrain. I had some Lavender planted in the backyard just because my favorite color is purple...and then I found out about the repellent properties. Win win!! I also planted marigolds and basil and i haven't noticed as many mosquitos lurking.

• Carri Curler

Absolutely thanks for sharing