Easy Homemade Bug Repelling Candle

$5

I don’t know about you but I think one of my favorite parts about summer (and living in the north county where we have warm nights) is eating dinner outside. Al fresco dining makes me slow down and not only enjoy my meal and scenery a bit more, but I feel less rushed to jump up and clean the kitchen after dinner and actually enjoy conversation. I guess it’s that out of sight out of mind mentality. But with that there is always a flip side that can bug you, and in this case I really do mean bug. Pesky mosquitoes can easily ruin your ambiance, so why not add to the ambiance but also add some functionality? Plus these candles are super easy to make and actually really pretty, would make for a great wedding centerpiece in an outdoor reception.

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
easy homemade bug repelling candle
Supplies:
  • plant clipping (see list above)
  • small mason jars
  • tea light candles
  • essential oils
  • water
easy homemade bug repelling candle
All these plants can be planted by your front door, on a patio or even by a window sill for some quick clippings. I happen to have a few of these plants growing and took a stab….here are some specific plants I used and the bugs I was trying to repel...
  • Mint, Rosemary, lemon thyme – repels mosquitos
  • Bay Leaves- repels flies
  • Lavender- repels moths, fleas, mosquitos
  • Basil- repels flies and mosquitos
easy homemade bug repelling candle
Fill your jars about 1/2 way with water and add your plant clipping combos based on what you are wanting to repel…
easy homemade bug repelling candle
You can even add a few drops of essential oils to really up the functionality, plus it smells amazing!
easy homemade bug repelling candle
Enjoy the outdoors, pest free!
xo
Sam

Zest it Up

• Cindymamabear

Is the candle for ambiance or needed to help in the bug repel? Mid-day picnic need the fly repellent but not the lighting.

• Cathy

Can I use peppermint plant?

• Sandi

I use 100% pure peppermint oil for ants

I just add some peppermint oil and water to a small spray bottle and spray around my cabinets and my dogs food bowl once a week and no more pesty ants.

• Lori Sumner

Is there a way to make this into a spray? Also is there a plant and or oil to get rid of ticks? Thank you.

• Kathrine Anderson

This is awesome!!!!! I wonder about using dried spices also? I don't have anything growing but I do have dried spices and some essential oils.

• Benwa

Sure ,

Soak those dried spices in water, they will come back to life just like in your cooking recipes. Although I just rub the essential oils on my clothes, has worked for me for over 65 years. Thanks to my grandma Rose Alma , God bless her soul in heaven.

• Serena

Love this idea, thanks 🙂