Jim Cox
Jim Cox
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springfield, MO

Flat Tire Repair on a Riding Mower

$12

Not my typical home improvement, but I hope it can save someone some time around the house, and not use any flammable chemicals like ether to re-seat the tire bead.
flat tire repair on a riding mower
Here is a tire on my Zero-turn that I rolled off the bead. It's broke loose so I won't be able to re-seat the bead with an air compressor.
flat tire repair on a riding mower
First, jack up the front of the mower.
flat tire repair on a riding mower
While the tire was loose I spooned in some Schaeffer tire repair solution. (Regular fix-a-flat will go in the valve stem too but it has already failed me once). We joke around the house and call this tire gravy ; )
flat tire repair on a riding mower
Next I grabbed a 1" tie down strap out of my trailer toolbox
flat tire repair on a riding mower
To fit a tire this small, we do NOT use the hooks. I feed the long side of the nylon strap thru the ratchet under the tire.

word to the wise: position the valve stem where you can get to in first. Don't ask me how I know this....
flat tire repair on a riding mower
Bring it around the tire and over the top back to the ratchet
flat tire repair on a riding mower
feed thru the ratchet. Most are big enough to handle two thicknesses of the nylon strap.
flat tire repair on a riding mower
Tighten the ratchet. This will put near-equal pressure around the tire, causing the sides to 'bulge out' and meet the rim.
flat tire repair on a riding mower
Add air thru the valve stem with a regular air hose and chuck. Tire should inflate quickly. Don't try to fill the tire, it will only make the ratchet harder to remove.
flat tire repair on a riding mower
remove the ratchet strap and finish airing up the tire. When it's at the rated pressure, let the jack down. If you used a chemical sealer, it's a good idea to run the mower around a while to distribute the sealant.

Good luck.

• Nylon Ratchet Strap ($6)  (Harbor Freight)
  • Shaeffer Fix-a-flat  (Auto parts distributor)

1 comment
  • Wendy

Jim, this is a phenomenal tutorial! Thank you!