How to Make an Incredibly Shiny Reclaimed Wood Desk Top With

$500
1 Week

Today I’m going to show you how we made a desk top and two stair treads using some reclaimed fir, and how to finish them with a shiny coat of epoxy resin. This desk top is part of a complete makeover we did in our shared boys bedroom, where we built a custom loft beds.
My husband works for a hydro company, so on occasion when they have to replace the old poles and cross arms the employees can take the old wood home. I didn’t know this until recently, but hydro cross arms are made from solid fir. They don’t look like much now, but just you wait and see how this turns out.
We cut all the cross arms in half, then jointed them and planed them so they were all the same size. Then we put a bead of glue on the edges of all the boards and clamped them together.
Once the glue was dry we sanded the desk top, and then stained it using   Minwax Weathered Oak. This is a very light stain with just a hint of grey that tones down the redish color of the fir.
For this high gloss finish I used  Envirotex Lite epoxy resin. Resin has a very specific way of mixing, so you have to make sure you follow the instructions exactly. After about 2 days of dry time, we installed the desk on top of the custom cabinets and bed we built.
What a difference, right? Can you believe this wood is the same as in the first picture? To see all the details and the final room reveal, check out my blog www.thevanderveenhouse.com

Jessica VanderVeen

• Sara

How to make bedfram out of wood that that's and makes no noise

• Not EPA

This is one of the most impressive projects I’ve seen on this site. Love it.

• Maura Campbell

Where did you get the drawers for the project? Are they custom?

I am assuming the original fir material was not pressure-treated?? It is really important that people NOT use pressure treated lumber inside their homes!

• Molly

Totally agree! Some people ate totally unaware of the health risks. I have a feeling these folks took every precaution and this is the most creative and adorable project I’ve seen in years! What lucky children, I’m 68 and want this room for me and gramps. Beautiful and clever!!!

• Sandy Rolon

Awesome, absolutely love this...would love to do this for my grandson. Already have the captains bed with 3 drawers. I would need a savvy carpenter to make it happen,

• Doreen Kennedy

I love used wood projects. Your’s turned out unbelievably beautiful