Makeover on a Worn Oak Table to a Farmhouse Fresh Beauty

4K Views
If you follow me here, you probably remember this post where I told you I really needed to re-do our dining room table. I finally did it! I ended up using 7 steps to complete this table. It was a lot of work, but so worth it.
Time: 8 HoursCost: $25Difficulty: Medium
  • makeover on a worn oak table to a farmhouse fresh beauty
Like I told you in that linked post above, it was getting harder and harder to keep the white heat marks off the table.  The finish on it was practically gone all together.  Although the top was really sad, the bottom part wasn't in that bad of shape.
When we purchased it over 6 years ago, it had two very bad water damage spots on it.  You can see them there, one on the left and one on the right.  I only needed to sand the top because I wanted to get rid of those marks if I could, before I added the new stain to it.
I used a rotary sander starting out with 60 grit sand paper, then going to 120 grit and then finally 220 grit to make it nice and smooth.
I used the mouse sander because it is smaller and easier to handle, to do the very rounded edge using the same steps in sand paper grit.
You can see here I didn't touch the skirt of the table nor the base and legs with the sander because I knew I was going to paint those and the miracle product I use requires NO SANDING! Yay!

Please visit our blog for the name of the miracle product! (link below)
I tried one lighter color of stain (Weathered Oak) but that didn't work out, so I used my old faithful.  Minwax Dark Walnut 2716 stain.  I've used this on so many of my projects.  I think it must be my favorite.

I used a sponge brush to apply it.  Trying hard to go with the grain of the wood if I could.

I applied this right over top of the other stain that I had first tried.  I applied a generous coat and let it sit until it all soaked in and then buffed it gently with a clean dry cloth.

TIP: I cut up old T-shirts for projects like this, they are the perfect cloth for the task.
TahDah! Look at that wood grain! So pretty now.  Even though the water damage marks are still visible to me, this top is 1000% times better than it was when I started out.
We are missing a chair.  One broke beyond repair.  I'm still debating on trying to find another chair to match and then paint them all or just get all new/used chairs.  Decisions, decisions! What would you do?

Too many to list here, but visit our blog by clicking right here to see all seven steps and more pictures of each one.

Thanks for looking!

Suggested materials for this project:

• Rotary Sander  (Our Shop)
  • Mouse Sander  (Our Shop)
  • Minwax Stain  (Lowes)
DeeDee