Painting Darkened Bedroom Furniture

+2
I have a bedroom suite that is 41 years old. It has a reddish color to it that I hate! It was originally light toned wood, maybe pecan. It is solid wood and made by Broyhill so I would love to get it back to its original color!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 😀
q painting darkened bedroom furniture
This is the dresser and the headboard, chest and nightstand are the same color 🙁
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jun 17, 2018
    Hi Ranji,
    I haven't done it before, but I found an article that might help you. Wishing you the best.
  • Gk Gk on Jun 17, 2018
    You could strip it all down but that would be a lot of work since you have multiple pieces. Then once it was stripped you could stain it and seal it with poly. If you wanted to paint it--chalk paint works great for this kind of project. I would suggest Annie Sloan Chalk paint for this because I think it is the best in all of the chalk paint lines. I have used every kind of chalk paint produced but Annie Sloan is still my favorite and what I believe covers and wears the best. I think that 2 quarts would do it for you and you would have some left over. I have done all my bedroom furniture in Annie Sloan Graphite which is a dark gray and then I waxed to seal it. Love it! Annie Sloan has many colors to choose from if you don't want to go dark. I do like the Old White color as well. I know it can be expensive but many times you can find it on sale. You do NOT need to use their expensive line of brushes. I use good brushes--Purty or Wooster--from HomeDepot or Menards and they work just fine for a fraction of the cost.
  • Sharon Sharon on Jun 17, 2018
    You don't state how it was refinished, but two ways.... hard way: strip with a stain-removing stripper like Kleen-Strip and use steel wool to get the stain out of the pores once the finish coat is off. If the wood is badly stained with the red, then use wood bleach to remove the last bits of color so you can go back to your blond. Be sure to rinse off the bleach with a damp sponge. Let dry.... then sand lightly, use tack cloth, stain the color you like and put your finish on.
    Easy way.... Just paint it the color you would like the wood grain to be, then put gel stain on it and run a wood graining tool over it,,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F12rzALu1EI&t=22s
  • Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Jul 02, 2018
    To strip all of these pieces would be a nightmare as you would have to remove each piece out of the bedroom and into your garage ...stripping is smelly and dangerous to breathe this stuff so this cannot be done inside the home...It also looks from the photos that the pieces have a lot of detail which would take a LOT of scraping and days and days for each piece to dry before you take up the next piece...Easy way is just to decide what color to paint it...maybe it does not have to be the original dark wood which is rather outdated but a light color, may be white...I just painted an amoire from my original bedroom set a pure white...it too was dark and very outdated looking...got myself Behrs (love that paint!) Paint and Primer in satin finish which matched my baseboard moldings and window frame in the room...two coats covered beautifully instantly modernized the look of the piece in the room with several other painted pieces...and an added bonus is you do not have to move superheavy pieces which you can paint in place like I did with my amoire...Also used Rustoleum spray paint to redo the hardware...that needs to be done outside ...comes in many colors ...I used a slate gray...viola...a brand new looking piece ....so maybe this will help you to see an easier option than trying to get old pieces back to their original look...you really want an updated look!