Headboard Project X 2

$61

Years ago I needed two headboards. I made one out of an old shoji screen. I was leaving the Restore one day and they had a pile of free headboards. They were not in great shape but I took one to convert to something I did like.
headboard project x 2
I decided to cover it with fabric. I bought a twin mattress pad to give it cushion because it was much less than buying foam padding. (around $50) My husband drilled holes in the wood for buttons.
headboard project x 2
I covered it in batting.
headboard project x 2
Stapled the fabric on.
headboard project x 2
Made matching buttons.
headboard project x 2
Attached the buttons through the drill holes. I never loved the placement of the button holes.
headboard project x 2
And that's how it remained for years until it was recently stained. So, I removed all of the staples, buttons and top layer of fabric. I had 3 yards of upholstery velvety, gray fabric for years I got a Christmas Tree Stores for $6. I used it because I had it. The fabric was too thick to make buttons and it was too plain without something on it. I had price sticker shock when I went to buy buttons. The size I wanted cost $4-5 each so I needed to find a cheaper alternative. I found flat knobs at Christmas Tree Stores and decided to see if they would work. If you buy two packs, the cost if $5 per pack. The other knob pack I will use on a dresser.
headboard project x 2
I took the knobs apart.
headboard project x 2
Then I used a kabob skewer to establish the holes in the fabric. I pushed the skewer through the back and made a hole in the fabric in the front of the headboard. I used those holes to push the shaft of the knobs through and attached them at the back of the headboard.
headboard project x 2
This time around I only used four of the button holes.
headboard project x 2
It's not perfect but it's an improvement for an $11 investment for the revamp.
headboard project x 2
I haven't covered the back yet so I'm not sure how I'm going to cover the ends of the shaft with the washer and nut.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 15, 2018 10:18 PM - More info

• Maggie Esancy

Do you have to put or use buttons or can you leave them out of the project??? Because I don't really like the tuffed look to much.

• K

Then don't!👍

That's the joy of DIY. You make it to suit your own tastes and needs.

I would say pick a great fabric with interesting details, and you're good to go. Add more or less batting based on how puffy you want it.

• Maude LaFountain

I love it ...I think it looks great !! Fantastic job !!!

• Deb

I have been looking for a headboard idea and seeing this has given me a plan of just what I will do!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!