Headboard Project X 2

$61

Years ago I needed two headboards. I made one out of an old shoji screen. I was leaving the Restore one day and they had a pile of free headboards. They were not in great shape but I took one to convert to something I did like.
headboard project x 2
I decided to cover it with fabric. I bought a twin mattress pad to give it cushion because it was much less than buying foam padding. (around $50) My husband drilled holes in the wood for buttons.
headboard project x 2
I covered it in batting.
headboard project x 2
Stapled the fabric on.
headboard project x 2
Made matching buttons.
headboard project x 2
Attached the buttons through the drill holes. I never loved the placement of the button holes.
headboard project x 2
And that's how it remained for years until it was recently stained. So, I removed all of the staples, buttons and top layer of fabric. I had 3 yards of upholstery velvety, gray fabric for years I got a Christmas Tree Stores for $6. I used it because I had it. The fabric was too thick to make buttons and it was too plain without something on it. I had price sticker shock when I went to buy buttons. The size I wanted cost $4-5 each so I needed to find a cheaper alternative. I found flat knobs at Christmas Tree Stores and decided to see if they would work. If you buy two packs, the cost if $5 per pack. The other knob pack I will use on a dresser.
headboard project x 2
I took the knobs apart.
headboard project x 2
Then I used a kabob skewer to establish the holes in the fabric. I pushed the skewer through the back and made a hole in the fabric in the front of the headboard. I used those holes to push the shaft of the knobs through and attached them at the back of the headboard.
headboard project x 2
This time around I only used four of the button holes.
headboard project x 2
It's not perfect but it's an improvement for an $11 investment for the revamp.
headboard project x 2
I haven't covered the back yet so I'm not sure how I'm going to cover the ends of the shaft with the washer and nut.

• Maggie Esancy

Do you have to put or use buttons or can you leave them out of the project??? Because I don't really like the tuffed look to much.

• K

Then don't!👍

That's the joy of DIY. You make it to suit your own tastes and needs.

I would say pick a great fabric with interesting details, and you're good to go. Add more or less batting based on how puffy you want it.

• Maude LaFountain

I love it ...I think it looks great !! Fantastic job !!!

• Deb

I have been looking for a headboard idea and seeing this has given me a plan of just what I will do!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!