Hallway Makeover- Pallet Ceiling, Lights and Stripes!

$100

There's a view of an upstair hallway ceiling from the entryway of my house.
I made this view epic with some old pallets, stripes and IKEA light bulbs.
hallway makeover pallet ceiling lights and stripes
This is the finished view and I love how it looks now! Guests see this and want to go upstairs to check it out.
The before hallway! Any stripe lovers out there?

I know! It looks like wrapping paper!
The colors came after the furniture. I built the cabinet and shelf at the end of the hallway first and painted the stripes in colors to match.
That's Pugsley and Wednesday. Wednesday looks cute, but stay away, because she is cray-cray! Even our vet is scared of her!
The hallway makeover all started with IKEA bulbs. I've been wanting to makeover that hallway for years, but couldn't decide on how I wanted to do it. Seeing these bulbs in IKEA Japan made me start immediately. I envisioned six of these bulbs going down a pallet ceiling.

I know six bulbs is a lot, but lighting decor is my favorite!
I broke down four pallets to make this ceiling by pulling them apart with my bare hands....Nah, the easiest way for me to take apart a pallet is by using a mini crowbar and a hammer.
This is half of the ceiling. After I cut the wood to size, I sanded it all only to clean it. I didn't want to sand out any dings or scratches, because I wanted them to be highlighted by the stain.
I used Watco oil stain. You can see all of the awesome little blemishes in the wood. You can sand most of these out if you don't like that distressed look.
I painted over the old stripes with gray paint. I used a special kind of paint designed for painting on wallpaper or painting over old paint. Primers are also available for projects like this.

I measured the stripe widths with a tape measure and made marks with a pencil. It sucked!! I ran painters tape down the wall keeping the pencil marks inside the tape, so I can paint over them later.
The pallet wood is held up by pieces of wood anchored into the wall studs. There are four equal pieces of wood holding up the ceiling. I did a similar pallet ceiling project in my restroom you can check out here:

This way makes it easier for me to take down the ceiling or change the lamp holders in the future.

The finished hallway! I used decorative trim on and under the wood holding up the ceiling to make it look like a piece of molding.
The finished hallway!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• Kimberly Stock

What do you put in any space there might be between the pallet boards?

• Map8307398

I want to do our bathroom but I don't see how you actually put it up. Btw, we're in our 70's and hubby has Parkinson's and I've had Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue for 20 years. Our bath ceiling gets mold. I've recently cleaned it with bleach, then later with white vinegar so it's ready for a new covering....no need above the bath as it's part of bath re-do. So...the area is about 5ft by 6ft. Should we cut the pallet boards and stagger them? Did you use nails, liquid nails or glue?

• Franb

Toni Vance, I agree with putting a post about this product out there. I have an upstairs bathroom with no fan, so I'm always opening the window, even on a cold winter day. BRRRRR! Going to run out and pick up this stuff, so Thanks!

• Carmen Grisanti

What part of Japan do you live?my son Vincent Grisanti lives in Hiroshima for 13 year's now from NYC

• Penny

u r very welcome.

• Sallie

Bryan, what took you to Japan? I enjoy reading your DIY projects.

Thanks, Sallie from Louisiana