Drywall & Popcorn Ceiling Repair in a Few Easy Steps

$10

We are knee-deep in a DIY kitchen remodel. After taking down an old fan to replace it with a new light;, we saw that we had issues with the drywall or lack of drywall in spots. We have done speckling before, but have never needed to actually patch a spot. So, we needed to patch the drywall and then apply popcorn to the ceiling. I wish we could scrape the popcorn off, but our house tested positive for asbestos so unless we want to shell out big bucks for professional popcorn removal…. the popcorn stays.
Here is the whole that we had when we took down the fan. Also notice, the discoloring.
We bought some drywall mesh and put that on the hole. Then we lightly spackled over it. We let that dry over night, lightly sanded and then spackled again.
Next we used Zinsser ceiling popcorn texture that you brush on. You can see from the first picture the popcorn is going on around the edge. The next is filled in completely with the texture. The third is after it dried and we applied stain blocker (more on that in the next step).
Once the popcorn was dry (overnight again), we created a canopy around the affected area and gave it two coats of Kilz original stain blocker.
We let that dry for a few hours and then put up our light.

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus

• Barbara
    Barbara

In our previous home (a rental) we had to sign a disclaimer that the house, built in the 20's, might contain lead-base paint products even though the state requires the landlord to repaint after every renter leaves. It seems our environmental laws, both state and federal, should require landlords to test and to upgrade to current environment-safe ecological standards. I knew we'd only be there temporarily, but even still I was glad when our own home was ready for us to move in.

• Drmoody
    Drmoody

thanks I have a small part of discolored popcorn that I want to repair I am going to go get Zinsser ceiling popcorn texture to see if it works for me too. 12X18 in area I am not willing to take the ceiling down