Upcycled Glass Lotion Bottles

$12

Noticed someone online selling some used glass lotions bottles in several different colors. I purchased all of the bottles for $5.00 to use for a couple fun projects. For this project I decided to use three of the bottles in each of my bathrooms for hand soap.
upcycled lotion bottles
The box of glass bottles before. They are the aroma therapy lotion line from Bath & Body Works.

upcycled lotion bottles
Here are the three colors that were in the box
upcycled lotion bottles
I removed the pumps from the bottles and soaked them as well as the bottles in hot water and Clorox.
upcycled lotion bottles
The pumps all cleaned up very nicely
upcycled lotion bottles
After trying to soak the bottles in hot water and scrubbing them to remove the sticky labels I decided to try putting them in my dish washer to see if the high heat temperature would help to get the labels off, clean, and sanitize them.
upcycled lotion bottles
After they went through the dishwasher the labels were still sticking to the bottles. I just carefully pulled on each label and they came off, but left behind the sticky residue. Here is what the bottles looked like after removing the labels. On the two bottles in the upper right of this photo you can really see the sticky residue that was left behind.
upcycled lotion bottles
I then used some Goo-be gone on each bottle. I found that letting the bottle sit for a while with the Goo-be- gone, then scrubbing the surface with a clean washcloth removed the sticky! Here is what one of the bottles looked like after using the Goo-be-gone.
upcycled lotion bottles
The bottles and pumps cleaned and sanitized. The black bottles outside coloring came completely off, the orange bottles coloring removed where the labels were, and the green bottles color stayed.
upcycled lotion bottles
I picked up a large container of Dial soap from Wal-Mart to fill the three bottles for my bathrooms.
upcycled lotion bottles
The orange bottle
upcycled lotion bottles
This oragne colored bottle looks great in the powder room as it's decorated in old rusty stuff. An Open House sing, kids uhaul truck, paint brush, and door hardware.
upcycled lotion bottles
The black bottle
upcycled lotion bottles
I like that you can see the blue soap color through this clear bottle, it matches the colors in my master bathroom
upcycled lotion bottles
The green bottle
upcycled lotion bottles
The green color goes great in my teens travel themed bathroom.

• April.north

why the need to sanitize with clorox? won't regular cleaning do?

• Wxw

Windex also works to remove labels. Works best if product sits on the sticker. When removing from a surface where the windex will not sit and soak the label, i place into a container, fill enough to allow container to soak in the liquid. Turn upside down so you are not wasting a lot of product. The longer it sits, the easier it peels off.

• Vita Powlison

Thats a great idea, it might also be pretty to put some small fake flowers in the jar and or some marbles or ? Something that goes with the theme of the bathroom. I put clear marbles in one of my soup dispensers and it glamed it up a bit whit a little sparkle. Thanks for sharing .

• Arlis Posey

Wash the soap residue off the pump as much as you can then drip some oil of any find (I use baby oil)down in to the pump . Then the soap won’t stick to the mechanism.. or remove the pump regularly put in sink of water and pump underwater until pump is clear of soap

• Jak28497006

Can rubbing alcohol take off the sticky residue?

• B. Enne

Wow, I didn't know those bottles were glass, and in such pretty colours. I actually like the orange bottle with the clear middle...it is different.

You made lemonade out of (some) lemons, well done!

• Jewell Martin

I love the simplicity of the bottles. Dawn, you have set the bar high. Congratulations. ☺️