Upcycled Glass Lotion Bottles

81K Views
Noticed someone online selling some used glass lotions bottles in several different colors. I purchased all of the bottles for $5.00 to use for a couple fun projects. For this project I decided to use three of the bottles in each of my bathrooms for hand soap.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $12Difficulty: Easy
  • upcycled lotion bottles
The box of glass bottles before. They are the aroma therapy lotion line from Bath & Body Works.

• upcycled lotion bottles
Here are the three colors that were in the box
  • upcycled lotion bottles
I removed the pumps from the bottles and soaked them as well as the bottles in hot water and Clorox.
  • upcycled lotion bottles
The pumps all cleaned up very nicely
  • upcycled lotion bottles
After trying to soak the bottles in hot water and scrubbing them to remove the sticky labels I decided to try putting them in my dish washer to see if the high heat temperature would help to get the labels off, clean, and sanitize them.
  • upcycled lotion bottles
After they went through the dishwasher the labels were still sticking to the bottles. I just carefully pulled on each label and they came off, but left behind the sticky residue. Here is what the bottles looked like after removing the labels. On the two bottles in the upper right of this photo you can really see the sticky residue that was left behind.
  • upcycled lotion bottles
I then used some Goo-be gone on each bottle. I found that letting the bottle sit for a while with the Goo-be- gone, then scrubbing the surface with a clean washcloth removed the sticky! Here is what one of the bottles looked like after using the Goo-be-gone.
  • upcycled lotion bottles
The bottles and pumps cleaned and sanitized. The black bottles outside coloring came completely off, the orange bottles coloring removed where the labels were, and the green bottles color stayed.
  • upcycled lotion bottles
I picked up a large container of Dial soap from Wal-Mart to fill the three bottles for my bathrooms.
  • upcycled lotion bottles
The orange bottle
  • upcycled lotion bottles
This oragne colored bottle looks great in the powder room as it's decorated in old rusty stuff. An Open House sing, kids uhaul truck, paint brush, and door hardware.
  • upcycled lotion bottles
The black bottle
  • upcycled lotion bottles
I like that you can see the blue soap color through this clear bottle, it matches the colors in my master bathroom
  • upcycled lotion bottles
The green bottle
  • upcycled lotion bottles
The green color goes great in my teens travel themed bathroom.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 8, 2018 11:27 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.