DIY Round Farmhouse Coffee Table

229K Views
I have been looking for a round coffee table for a while now and can not find the size and color I wanted to I decided to DIY it. I bought this old orange-y dining table for $20.
Time: 4 HoursCost: $30Difficulty: Medium
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
I really like the shape of the base and the fact that it has the “skirt” around the top.
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
Fun fact: the average coffee table is about 16-18 inches. The one we have in our family room now is 19 and it seems to fit well with the new sectional so we’ll stick with that height. The way the top attaches to the base is through 2 different levels of boards which in total measures 4 inches so we only need the actual base itself to be 15 inches.
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
We removed the top.  See how the boards are attached?
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
We saved all of the pieces to re-attach it.
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
We removed two of the legs and used the chop saw to cut it. This required hubby to turn it over a few times to get it cut all the way through.

• diy round farmhouse coffee table
It wasn’t perfect but it worked. It’s was a bit uneven so I used my palm sander around the edges to get it level.
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
I put that aside and got to stripping the top.
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
I stained the top with a color that was too light and ended up going over it with dark walnut to make it darker but it was still not what I wanted. I sanded it down a bit and went back over it with Honey.

For the bottom and around the “skirt”, I decided to go with a distressed black. I sanded it down with the palm sander to get some of the shine off. I used the same Behr black paint and primer in one in a satin finish that I used on our  dining room hutch. Then roughed up the lines here and there with a 120 sand paper to let some of the wood show through. Then I went over it with the a little stain.  Rustic, farmhouse goodness.

• diy round farmhouse coffee table
We put it back together exactly how it was originally attached with the bolts. Here she is in her new home. I LOVE it!
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
I think the round shape helps with the flow a bit better as we are walking from the stairs into the family room. Unfortunately, now I notice how much we really need a rug. 
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
A bit time consuming but not hard.
  • diy round farmhouse coffee table
To see more about this project and other DIY projects, visit my blog at http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com or you can find my on Facebook
https://www.instagram.com/lifeonkaydeross/

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 13, 2018 10:19 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek