DIY Round Farmhouse Coffee Table

$30

I have been looking for a round coffee table for a while now and can not find the size and color I wanted to I decided to DIY it. I bought this old orange-y dining table for $20.
I really like the shape of the base and the fact that it has the “skirt” around the top.
Fun fact: the average coffee table is about 16-18 inches. The one we have in our family room now is 19 and it seems to fit well with the new sectional so we’ll stick with that height. The way the top attaches to the base is through 2 different levels of boards which in total measures 4 inches so we only need the actual base itself to be 15 inches.
We removed the top.  See how the boards are attached?
We saved all of the pieces to re-attach it.
We removed two of the legs and used the chop saw to cut it. This required hubby to turn it over a few times to get it cut all the way through.

It wasn’t perfect but it worked. It’s was a bit uneven so I used my palm sander around the edges to get it level.
I put that aside and got to stripping the top.
I stained the top with a color that was too light and ended up going over it with dark walnut to make it darker but it was still not what I wanted. I sanded it down a bit and went back over it with Honey.

For the bottom and around the “skirt”, I decided to go with a distressed black. I sanded it down with the palm sander to get some of the shine off. I used the same Behr black paint and primer in one in a satin finish that I used on our  dining room hutch. Then roughed up the lines here and there with a 120 sand paper to let some of the wood show through. Then I went over it with the a little stain.  Rustic, farmhouse goodness.

We put it back together exactly how it was originally attached with the bolts. Here she is in her new home. I LOVE it!
I think the round shape helps with the flow a bit better as we are walking from the stairs into the family room. Unfortunately, now I notice how much we really need a rug. 
A bit time consuming but not hard.
To see more about this project and other DIY projects, visit my blog at http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com or you can find my on Facebook
https://www.instagram.com/lifeonkaydeross/

Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Becky Tschannen Cochran

Once can’t Turing the top of the table “leg” off how did it reattach to the table top piece of wood?

• Angie Weisheit

What a GREAT idea!

I almost bought some of this paint/varnish/stain stripper last week but hesitated because I didn't know of anyone who had used it.

How well does it work?

How easy is it to use, etc.

Thanks!! 😊

• Kathy T

I used it about 5 years ago to remove the finish on a pine dresser that I was going to paint, and was happy with the results. It worked better than many strippers I'd used in the past, plus smelled a LOT better 😉

• Shirley

I have a table with this base, it seems like it is plastic, was yours plastic or wood? Ours is 25 yrs old, kinda that era of using a lot of plastic

• Val

I did one something like you but didn’t have that much room so cut in half and did half round looks great.

• Maureen

Beautiful makeover. The coffee table looks amazing. I love the black base.

Thank you for sharing ❤️