Asked on Jun 19, 2018

How do I get melted plastic off my stainless steel stove ?

Jenny CampbellFlipturnWilliam
+6

I had a bag of potatoes in plastic and I turn on the stove and it melted on my stainless steel stove. When I touch it it’s almost as one with the steel. Does anybody have a solution that will get this off Without scratching the surface? Thanks for your help
  • Dfm
    Dfm

Have you tried cold? Ice cubes over it? If is stainless the metal my contract a bit making plastic easier to get off.....other wise green scratchy and elbow grease.
  • Dana Mason
    Dana Mason

This may sound crazy, put I had plastic melt to my iron and I actually heated the iron back up to get the plastic warm and then turned the iron off and wiped it with lighter fluid...... as I had to use lighter fluid to clean the hot elements on a machine at work..... and that worked great...... (Hairdryer may heat it up just enough)
  • Chubby58
    Chubby58

Try a heat gun and. A plastic putty knife or rubber spatula to scrape it off once it gets hot.
  • Elise Lynn
    Elise Lynn

Try Peanut Butter let it sit on & around it for an hour or so The oil will get into the plastic and make lift up. Then use a soft towel to wipe up. The oil will shine your appliance too! You can also try Pam or Olive oil but Peanut butter will stay better. It may take a few times and effort on your part!
  • Farida Lalan
    Farida Lalan

Switch off main gas controls. Spray WD40. Leave overnight.wipe clean
  • Janice
    Janice

Hi Elizabeth! I've used the WD40 method and it worked very well. Just be sure to rinse it off well after the plastic is removed. Worked like a charm on my melted mess!
    William

I would suggest a combination of the solutions. Either heat the stove or use a blow dryer and use something plastic to remove as much as you can. Then use WD40 to remove the residue. If the WD40 doesn't do it, try nail polish remover. Try the nail polish remover in an inconspicuous area first.
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

I would caution you against using WD40 as it can easily get into and under tiny edges and ledges. If so, you will need to then use a cleaner to remove the WD40.Depending on how strong a cleaner it is, and its base content, you will then need to wash it off.

Most practical suggestion yet is to freeze the hardened plastic with ice. It should then simply crack off.

• Jenny Campbell
    Jenny Campbell

baking soda