How to Make a Bed Canopy

$15
1 Day

On a Friday evening trip to Ikea, my daughter spotted a bed net canopy and in her very best begging voice pleaded her case for me to shell over $20 for something I knew I could make for under $10.
how to make a bed canopy
Armed with a few additional supplies, her net was completed in under 30 minutes and the tab came in under $10.
To make one of your own you will need....

A pack of Ikea LILL curtains
A medium quilting ring (purchased from Michaels for $2.99)
Ribbon or String
Ceiling Hook
Spraypaint (optional)

I. Start with removing the inner ring of the quilting ring from the outer by untwisting the screw until the outer rings disconnect. Once the rings are detached, carefully string the curtains onto the rings. If you choose not to spray paint the rings, the wood will catch the fabric on the curtains so be careful not to tear or rip the fabric.
how to make a bed canopy
Once the rings are detached, carefully string the curtains onto the rings. If you choose not to spray paint the rings, the wood will catch the fabric on the curtains so be careful not to tear or rip the fabric.

Once they have been attached to the ring. Collect them together and make a knot at the top. Now, place the inner ring back into the outer one, making sure the fabric is hanging how you want. Then tighten the screw to connect the two rings.

how to make a bed canopy
Put your ceiling hook in place and affix the knot onto the hook. I recommend screwing the hook into a drywall anchor to ensure it stays. Ask me how I know.
how to make a bed canopy
Linda (burlap+blue)

• Joe Jones

You just said string the curtain on the ring how? Through the rod slot or with string? Where did you use the ribbon or string? How did you make the knot you mentioned in the curtain that you said you attached to the hook but the curtain doesn’t go to the cieling?

• Lisa Schoonover

By taking the outer hoop off you place Curtin in between the hoops making sure you have extra fabric out the top so after you put the outer hoop there is enough fabric that will fall and cover the hoop on the outside

• Joe Jones

• Michael & DeAnn Farris

I love love this!!! I’ve always wanted one since I was a child! Anyone know any other ideas about making a canopy bed out of a 4 tall post bed queen size??

Dee

• Cindy

Hi Dee. I'm Cindy. You could try using a hoola hoop to make a canopy for a queen size bed. Dollar Tree should have hoola hoops any day now. They put them out around Easter. I think you're right, Dee. Every little girl would love a canopy bed, right? Even one like me at age 65.