How to Make a Bed Canopy

$15
1 Day

On a Friday evening trip to Ikea, my daughter spotted a bed net canopy and in her very best begging voice pleaded her case for me to shell over $20 for something I knew I could make for under $10.
how to make a bed canopy
Armed with a few additional supplies, her net was completed in under 30 minutes and the tab came in under $10.
To make one of your own you will need....

A pack of Ikea LILL curtains
A medium quilting ring (purchased from Michaels for $2.99)
Ribbon or String
Ceiling Hook
Spraypaint (optional)

I. Start with removing the inner ring of the quilting ring from the outer by untwisting the screw until the outer rings disconnect. Once the rings are detached, carefully string the curtains onto the rings. If you choose not to spray paint the rings, the wood will catch the fabric on the curtains so be careful not to tear or rip the fabric.
how to make a bed canopy
Once the rings are detached, carefully string the curtains onto the rings. If you choose not to spray paint the rings, the wood will catch the fabric on the curtains so be careful not to tear or rip the fabric.

Once they have been attached to the ring. Collect them together and make a knot at the top. Now, place the inner ring back into the outer one, making sure the fabric is hanging how you want. Then tighten the screw to connect the two rings.

how to make a bed canopy
Put your ceiling hook in place and affix the knot onto the hook. I recommend screwing the hook into a drywall anchor to ensure it stays. Ask me how I know.
how to make a bed canopy
Linda (burlap+blue)

• Solboheme

Can you use a larger ring to hang in the middle of the bed and cover all 4 corners? What would you suggest?

• Sha33816857

yes and you can use a hula hoop instead of an embroidery hoop and just drape the curtains over it t y e at the top

• Joe Jones

You just said string the curtain on the ring how? Through the rod slot or with string? Where did you use the ribbon or string? How did you make the knot you mentioned in the curtain that you said you attached to the hook but the curtain doesn’t go to the cieling?

• Lisa Schoonover

By taking the outer hoop off you place Curtin in between the hoops making sure you have extra fabric out the top so after you put the outer hoop there is enough fabric that will fall and cover the hoop on the outside

• Joe Jones

• Bonnie

By looking at the photos, it looks like she used the rod slot on the curtains to slide the hoop through; the embroidery hoop opens by the metal screw clasp on the outer ring to create the opening to get the curtains on. The ribbon/string was used at the top to make a hanger for the hoop. I think a portion of her explanation may be missing when she talks about the string/ribbon.... You can see it at the top of the last photo. I'm guessing the knots were slip knots to tie around the hoop and then gathered to tie together at the top to hang.

• Emily

Maybe these are not really in style now? I remember when the ready made ones were all the rage. I actually found one at our town swap shop recently. BUT anyway of seeing something with fresh eyes is a bonus. It just shows that there are many ways of achieving a certain look. Congratulations. !

• Kandi Michelle

You can get white mosquito netting on Ebay and do all 4 corners and make it look like a full canopy bed for only a little more and a LOT less work. I did that. It comes with everything you need. You screw the hooks into the ceiling and hang it. It comes with braided ropes to tie the corners, and you can use ribbon too. I didn't like the way mine was hanging, so I used clear plastic push pins to pin it up in the center and on the sides to make it drape the way I wanted. I got the 4 sided one for a queen bed for $18 & free shipping.