Pallet Garden Border

$0

Pallet projects seem to be flooding the world of DIY! And why shouldn’t they?! If you are lucky, you can get decent pallets for free and save on the cost of lumber for your projects. The problem with pallets... breaking them down. Luckily, this project doesn’t require all the prying (unless you really want to)!

Rather than spending all the time and effort to break apart my pallets, I used a reciprocating saw and cut the top boards as close to the supports as possible. This left me with 21” sections. I cut each section into 3 parts (7” each). I wanted to keep a natural wood look for this, but if you want, now would be the time to stain or paint your boards. You could do everything the same color, or alternate a few different ones for variety.

My herb garden, fairly soon after planting

For my border, I wanted my boards staggered and overlapping. I started at one corner and pounded the first board in with a mallet until about 4” were sticking up. The next board overlaps about 1/2” and is in the ground about 1/2” deeper than the first. I continued around the border, changing the overlap slightly as needed to fit the boards all the way to each corner without having to cut the boards.

It is just tall enough to deter my dogs from climbing through my flower beds!

Here is my herb garden now! As I come across more pallets, I have been adding borders around the rest of my sidewalk and flower beds.

• Suzanne

I see what looks like laundry baskets. What are they for and do they work?

• Bry

I have been wanting to do this border idea for a year. what length did you cut your pieces? Looks like they are all the same height in the photos. Very nice and clean looking.

• Conette

She said 7” each and she put every other one about a 1/2” deeper.

• Sarah.burroughs

Are the baskets cut?

• Linda Abate

What a lovely herb garden you have created. A good use for an old pallet and I love the added color with the baskets surrounding each herb plant. Such a nice way of keeping the herbs separate. NICE JOB.

• Lisa

Absolutely adorable! And so practical too. Love it!