Camouflaging a Dated Bathroom Light Fixture

$15

I needed a quick inexpensive way to update a very dated lighting fixture that also happened to be off-center over the vanity. Since replacing it wasn't in the budget, I opted for camouflaging the fixture with a DIY light cover that cost less than $15 to make, all without using any power tools!
camouflaging a dated bathroom light fixture
This is what the fixture looked like before. I removed the cover and this left the light bulbs exposed.
I used 1/4" x 6" poplar boards and 3/4" thick square wood dowels to make the cover. I cut the boards into 3 sections (2 x 4.5" and 1 x18") and cut the dowels into 4 pieces (4 x 5.5") using a hand saw. I used wood glue to attach the square dowels to join the front to the sides (Painter's tape helps to hold the pieces together while the glue dries).
Then I glued the other 2 dowel pieces to the back of the sides.

I did a paint treatment using chalk paint, wood tint and white wax from Folk Art Home Decor.
I used a piece of 1/8" thick plexiglass that I covered with fabric (I used Mod Podge to glue the fabric to the plexiglass).
I removed the old cover and placed 3M command strips on either side of it to hang the new cover so that it would be centered over the vanity. The new cover is very light so the strips are fine to hold it (I put the strips on the wood dowels on the sides). This avoids having to make holes in the wall, but you could also use brackets to attach it to the wall. I didn't have a level handy so I ended up using an app on my smart phone to make sure the fixture was level!
I also replaced the incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs to make sure there's no heat next to the cover.
The new cover completely hides the existing fixture and it's now perfectly centered.
It was just what was needed to complete this bathroom makeover, which started with a new backsplash that I made with peel and stick Smart Tiles, and also included a DIY over the toilet storage cabinet.
You can watch the entire makeover in this video here.

• 1x6 wood plank
  • Wood dowels
  • Plexiglass
Engineer Your Space

• Debbie Green

You have solved my problem and it looks great! I have 1 question...What is the what looks like a white piece that looks like it is above and below the wood piece in the last couple of pictures? I may have not understood this if you already stated it.

• Arose4cherry

I guess I better watch the video on your blog because I am so confused. I don't know if it's just me but it appears a couple of steps are missing from this tutorial about the plexiglass and how to attach it. I love this idea and want to try it in my downstairs bathroom. Thanks.

• Diane

I can't find where you've already answered this. I have the same ones you had, i had to take them off altogether,i was getting no light. It looks like you have more light coming down, is that due to the Plexiglas?

• Diane

Hi. I got the LEDs a week ago, wow brightened up my bathroom great.

• Marylou Lindsay

Can you put the tiles paper over tiles?