C. D. Scallan
C. D. Scallan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Saint Amant, LA

A Window in Time

$2

Those of you who follow me, may have noticed that I have slight obsession with antique windows. I love to repurpose them in different ways and display them. Since I have run out of room in my own home, now I gift them to family and friends who have admired the ones that I have at home😁

My latest project is one that is dear to my heart on several levels, as it will be a gift to my beloved aunt but it will
a window in time
The first thing I did was acquire just the right window (that took some doing) .I sanded off the loose paint chips with fine sanding sponge. I then hosed off all the dirt and grime (ooh it was icky) and got down to business 😊
a window in time
I measured the window so I would know how much of the quilt I could cut out and fit into the frame.
a window in time
Then I searched for the most salvageable squares and measured out what I would I need.
a window in time
I stitched around the edges because it really was in bad shape.
a window in time
I used sheets of foam for backing, like in a picture frame and cut it out to fit.
a window in time
Here is me using my new staple gun (thank you Hometalk for the Amazon gift cards 😉) to secure it all in frame of the window.
a window in time
And here it is, ready to deliver! One of my favorite windows so far ❤

• Jerri

I have an old quilt that was my husband’s grandmother’s. This is the perfect way to save it. Thanks for sharing this. Quick question- did you attach hangers? Please share what and how you did. Thank you

• C. D. Scallan

No I did not take the pane out.

I would not have cut an antique quilt if most had not already been beyond repair.