Tips of organizing a small house with a lot of people?

+2
Help on getting organized. Newer house- 7 people not a lot of room stuff every where.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jun 20, 2018
    Hi Doris, I would invest in a bunch of clear bins with lids so they can be safely stored almost anywhere and safely stacked. From there its a case of deciding what you don't need every day and get it stored and well labeled. Make sure everyone in the household is on board for this. I've found generally we only need about 30% of our stuff on a daily basis.
  • Make it a mandatory activity. Every day stop and take 15 minutes to put everything and I mean everything away. Every member of the family must participate. 7 people have a lot of stuff, no doubt about it. Organization is key - take a weekend and get yourself up to speed. Where do you specifically need help? Kitchen? Closets? Toys? I personally can not and will not live in chaos. Everything must have a logical "common sense" home. Bathroom stuff in the bathroom, clothes and shoes in closet . . .
  • ☘️ TxIreland ☘️ TxIreland on Jun 20, 2018
    Shoe organizer on the back of doors. Bins under the bed. Netted laundry bags hanging in corners of ceilings.
    Wire baskets on wall.

Shelves ( floating shelves may give you more room) up to the ceilings, especially in closets , bathroom above kitchen cabinets. Use crown molding to hang your heels. ( other shoes too if you use hooks )

change your headboards to wider ones and you’ll be able to add a hidden shelf
    ( like you would between the between the refrigerator and stove)

Hang individual laundry hampers on the back of doors.

I created my own laundry hamper by sewing up the bottom of a long nylon/rayon nightgown . Then I used an Old Antique heavy duty hanger to hang it from. I also keep my grandmothers brooches on it and it hangs in the master bathroom. It’s beautiful!

Store your sheets for that particular bed under the mattress .
    Double up on closet space by hanging outfits together and using shower clips.

I hope some of these ideas help!

Good Luck ☘️!

• Rob32328534 Rob32328534 on Jun 20, 2018
    Shelves, shelves, shelves! Use your vertcal space & under beds, sofas, chairs, etc too. In closets, put dividers on the shelves and stack folded sweaters, t-shirts, sheets, etc to the ceiling- get a little step stool to easily reach them. Get those white cardboard file storage boxes and label them for less used items- they look orderly in closets and garages and are easy to stack and move around. You can even cover them in contact paper. Make storage ottomans out of plastic bins by covering with a cushion & fabric. Dual use furniture and rooms are key. Folding chairs for desks can be good space savers too. Under sinks use wire locker shelves to maximize storage.
  • Brenda Brandt Deason Brenda Brandt Deason on Jun 20, 2018
    Anything not currently being used, like winter coats, heavy blankets, etc., should be stored in bins in the garage. Put toys into bins and keep all but one in the garage, then switch it out once a week or so. That goes for adult hobbies as well. If a bin stays in the garage all year without being brought in, then it might contain yard sale material. By putting things in bins, you can determine if you really need them. You might just enjoy the space more than the items. Since bins can get expensive, and cardboard is not good storage material, I ask myself if the thing is worthy of buying a bin for. That gets things to the yard sale or donate pile more quickly. Your best solution is less stuff in the house. I had an epiphany staying with a friend after her baby #4 was born. She only had enough dishes for one meal at a time. So we washed them between meals and they never piled up. I've taken this concept to many areas of my house. I only need as many towels as will fit in one laundry basket. They never pile up now. (With seven people, you're washing just as many loads of towels, they are just the same ones each time.) Each person should have a special glass that they rinse and reuse, so they don't pile up. If you stick to drinking water, even better. You can think of the local thrift store as your storage unit. Donate things you don't use often. When you need it, you can just go buy one, then take it back. It will cost less than a storage unit payment, and you don't have to dig through boxes and bins to find what you need. For clothes, try to fit your active wardrobes onto 40 hangers for each person. Store or donate the excess. I grew up in a family of seven, and even though we hated doing things like dishes, that was time spent together, something we have precious little of now that we are adults. Enjoy it while you can!