Asked on Jun 20, 2018

How do I get rid of mold in the bathroom?

KatarinaEroque022810Deborah Perry Blankenship
+6

Mold in in the bathroom with no circulation. I keep a fan blowing at all times but mold keeps coming back.

Janet Pizaro

try using white vinegar on the mold
  • Pennie
    Pennie

start with damp rid helps get the extra moisture out of the air that settles and causes the mold
  • Onwingandhoof
    Onwingandhoof

Use Zissner mold killing primer. It's exspensive, but worth the cost. I used the sealer they have for smells, for cigarette smoke for my entire home. It works.
  • Wipe everything down with vinegar as vinegar will kill mold spores whereas bleach will not. Keep the bathroom door open. Even a portable fan will help. Think about repainting with a mold inhibiting primer and paint, such as Zinsser:

• Michael Anthony Briscoe
    Michael Anthony Briscoe

try installing a bath fan. This assist with taking moisture out and circulates clean air. The various cleaning methods work, the missing factor is the air exchange
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

If you have a window that opens in the bathroom, use a fan that will blow damp air out the window. Wash with bleach water to help prevent mold/mildew stains. Spritz all the areas well once it is dry with vinegar and let it dry. The vinegar will help kill any remaining spores and perhaps ward off the mold/mildew for a little longer. If you spritz the areas after you bathe/shower, it may help keep it away also.
  • Deborah Perry Blankenship
    Deborah Perry Blankenship

I had it in the 70's on window sills and I think the electric co said clean with baking soda, rinse, then spray straight clorox bleach on mildew. Let soak in for 15 minutes to kill spores. Wipe off. Make sure window is open & fan is on to take fumes away. You may want to wear a mask over nose & mouth. I made sure the next house did not have electric heat and windows did not sweat. In future when someone takes a bath or shower make sure to wipe down walls in shower & bathtub to cut down on moisture. If you still get mold, get a small dehumidifier & look for inspector who can tell you where the moisture or leak is.
  • Eroque022810
    Eroque022810

As well as the other suggestions wipe bath area down with paper towels or a cloth and dry it after you bathe. Also keep door yo room open. This can help by dispersing the air that the fan is circulating outside of room.
  • Katarina
    Katarina

Thank you so much!