Asked on Jun 21, 2018

Suggestions needed to get roommates to clean.

Unique Creations By AnitaCaseyem11Tinyshoes
+4

I have given the roommates all they need to be able to clean after themselves. Cleaning supplies as well as a sweeper and paper towels. Suggestions? Other than charging more for rent and hiring someone...

• Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

If you are continuing to clean up after them, then charge them for your time. Hit them in the pocket book and maybe they will not be so lazy.
  • Linda Hunt
    Linda Hunt

If they are adults I would take every single item they leave dirty and put in a container and leave it in their room...just make sure that you keep a set of dishes for yourself in your room til they get the hint. If they do it with the pots clean them and remove them to your own room for your use only until they grow up.

• Gk
    Gk

It is very difficult to make someone do what they don't feel is a priority and it is hard to find out that roommates don't have the same cleaning standards than you may have. Which is why I evidently loved living by myself when I was a young single person--though I know back in the day it was much more affordable than it is now! You could schedule a cleaning day--mutually agreed upon--or you could share in the cost of a cleaning lady who comes for a few hours each week. It is not fair for one person to buy all the cleaning supplies or do all the cleaning unless there is a trade off somewhere.
  • Mar33482700
    Mar33482700

If they won't clean then chances are they will not ever clean unless it hurts their wallet. Hire someone and charge more for rent. If they have half a brain they will eventually figure out that it's cheaper to just clean up after themselves. (I feel your pain)
  • Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

So many problems when living with a roommate sometimes! Cleanliness is next to Godliness! If she has started out this way it will probably continue. My only suggestion is what you have said....go up on her rent and either clean yourself or hire it done with that money. I'm sure you have talked to her but this is part of her rent money (keep things clean). Also, when things are left undone it can cause bugs and serious damage that the landlord will charge for. Remind her that "Your mother does not live here!" Wishing you all the best....so sorry but just be upfront and honest!
  • Caseyem11
    Caseyem11

Get new roomates.
  • Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

Kick them out they are not your children. Tough love.