Recovering an ottoman : What suggestions do you have?

+9
I am in the process of recovering this ottoman, but I can't figure out how to make it look like 1 pc vs having the top foam look like it's separate. I know how I want it to look, I just don't know if spray adhesive will be strong enough to hold it down completely.
What suggestions do you have?
q recovering an ottoman
  • Spray adhesive would work depending on how much use it will be getting. I would recommend using velcro to attach the cushion to the base. If you want the base to lift up, to have storage inside, I would attach the cushion to the board and attach the board to the base using hinges so it can be lifted up.
  • Jonah Quinn Jonah Quinn on Jun 21, 2018
    Does this have storage inside? Otherwise I am not sure why you did the upholstery in two sections.
    Ordinarily for a one piece ottoman (not to be opened) you would sew a cover for the whole piece ( with tucking and trim if desired to make it look more like a cushion on top of a box - if you know what I mean). Then you would pull it over the whole ottoman, and attach it to the bottom.

However, here you are, so you can add a trim to the top piece so that it will end up looking like you did it as one piece with trim. Generally the 'trim' I am talking about is a small fabric roll (usually stitched around a stiff cord), or soft fabric band, between the top and bottom. Because it is two pieces you will need to use a large/wide trim piece, and sew it onto the top piece so that it is slightly larger than the bottom, so when you set the top onto the bottom the trim will go over the bottom section smoothly. Now it should look like one single piece ottoman.

Looking back at your question, now I am wondering if instead of making it look like a single piece you really are wondering how to attach the pieces together? Same as before, if you would have sewn it as one piece it wouldn't be an issue. But, again here you are, so..

Okay, this one is a bit harder, first off, spray adhesive will 'sort of' hold the pieces together as long as no one actually uses the ottoman. Otherwise if the adhesive holds, the foam will rip apart as people sit/stand/move feet/etc, totally ruining your ottoman. You will need to physically attach the fabric with either staples or thread. Staples can get bad in that location, think about someone sitting on it and a random staple working out just enough to scratch the back of their leg. I would go with thread, again do the trim, so now you have the top with a piece of trim sewn on. Get an upholstery needle - the curved kind. Now set the top onto the bottom, and use the curved needle to attach the one fabric to the other. This won't be easy as your bottom section looks nice and taut.

Another option is to attach a full bottom to the top (mimic the one piece cover) and slide it over the bottom section, then staple it to the bottom of the ottoman. This will be more material, and you will be covering your hard work on the bottom section, but the sewing/stapling will be so much easier and in the end you should have it as one piece and looking good.

The last option (I can think of anyway), would involve some carpentry skills. Turn it into a storage ottoman (or at least the way they connect). You will need to staple the tops fabric (with the trim to help hide the connection) to a piece of wood that is almost the same size as the top cushion. That piece of wood would have a wooden frame attached that would fit snug into the inside of the bottom frame (you might need to also beef up the bottom frame depending on how it's constructed, or if you actually want to use it for storage). Now you can slide the top section into the bottom section and the wooden frame nested inside the bottom section frame will keep it all together (from lateral movement).

Hope this helps, good luck.
  • Harriette N Harriette N on Jun 21, 2018
    Thank you for your suggestions, storage isn't an option for this piece, sadly. The red plaid cover you see in the photo is the original cover that I want to cover up. Originally the foam was attached to the bottom part, the manufacturer had it sewn together in a way I could not duplicate and wouldn't want to if I could as I want it to look different than it did originally.
    Thank you again for coming to my rescue with this project.
  • You are very welcome. Looking at your picture if you just want to fix fabric over fabric your other option is hot glue gun.
  • Emily Emily on Jun 21, 2018
    Many years ago my daughter turned the top of a table into an ottoman . . . this is a pretty large piece and she has used it for years in front of her sofa in her living room. (see pic) dark red object buried under Xmas! She took a class at the time and did this "correctly" but the basic idea is the same as yours; foam on top of something else. The proper way to do this is to place the foam on top of the bottom, yes you can secure it with spray if you wish, but that would just hold it in place while you are working. Now take a big piece of quilt batting, lay it over the foam/base and then on top of that lay a layer of muslin, also a large piece. Carefully holding this (with help) flip the piece onto the top (so the muslin is on the bottom) now carefully go around the ottoman, stapling the muslin in place. Do one side with one staple in the middle, go opposite and do one staple in the middle, next do the corners, putting a staple into the very pointy part of the corner and then making nice little pleats to have a smooth appearance; then the sides then start filling in. . . stapling all around but alternating so you do not pull on one side more than another. Make it taut but not stretched. This will hold your foam on the base and it will look like one unit when you add the finish fabric, doing it in the same way as described for the batting and muslin.
  • Emily Emily on Jun 21, 2018
    Harriette, it is sort of like you do a d.r. seat cover, except your project is much bigger. I would also suggest using a fabric that doesn't show dirt or stains. My daughters is upholstery fabric and she raised two kids and two cats with this. It has held up remarkably well,
    Thank you for the helpful suggestion about what I use to cover the ottoman with!!
  • MomofivejsOR MomofivejsOR on Jul 08, 2018

I agree with Emily, batting with make the ottoman look smooth and intentional. I think that since it such a large project though, I would first wrap it with muslin for added strength and then layer the batting on top of that and continue the process. I'm sure your project will turn out lovely.