From Retro to Simply Darling! Mid Century Dresser Update

I'm not a huge fan of the blonde mid century furniture.. or 50's furniture in general for that matter. This dresser had some veneer damage in several areas and water spots on the top. As you can see, I used this as a shelf for all of my cra... I mean, stuff. Since, I didn't really like this piece I just couldn't figure out what to do with it. So it sat there.. and became my shelf.. I really WANTED to love this dresser, but I just couldn't so I stood in front of it for a long while until inspiration FINALLY hit!
from retro to simply darling mid century dresser update, painted furniture
This is the before.. There were only a couple of things that I liked about this dresser.. 1. The drawers work perfectly
2. The lines across the front of the top.. which is what inspired this makeover!
First, I cleared off all that junk ;) then I got to painting! I painted this using The Hayloft's Milk Paint in Rebel Gray. This color does have a hint of blue and lavender. It's such a great color! And worked perfectly for the look I was going for! Link to purchase milk paint ---> https://www.etsy.com/listing/186986803/the-haylofts-milk-paint-milk-paint?
I used 3 different scrapbook papers and cut them into several different sized roses.
Once I had them all cut out, I placed them on the top to figure out where I wanted them.
After I had them all where I wanted them I used Mod Podge to glue them down. I first put a layer of Mod Podge where the flower was to be. Then I gently laid the flower in it's place and pressed it down, sticking it to the glue. I let them dry some then went over each flower with another layer. So, Mod Podge, flower then Mod Podge again.
Once I was finished with that, I let them dry. Then I moved onto the drawers. I really didn't like the pulls it had so I got creative. I used this sweet white fabric instead! I cut them into strips, pulled each end through the holes and then just tied a knot, Super easy! If they get dirty, you can just untie them and throw them in the wash!
I kept the bottom drawers knobs, I just freshened them up with white paint.
I really do LOVE it now!
Isn't this color beautiful!? Link to purchase The Hayloft's Milk Paint (Rebel Gray) ----> https://www.etsy.com/listing/186986803/the-haylofts-milk-paint-milk-paint?
The dresser also has 3 coats of polycrylic to help protect the finish and those charming flowers!
I'm very happy with how this one turned out. It went from something that I really didn't like to something that I LOVE! :)

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/TheHayloftCCC

• Lynn Rainsford

That is the kind of furniture that needed painting! Lovely and creative :)

• Lynne Gaylor

I have one of those also.....and I'm looking forward to doing it over with paint! It also has the wonderful curved front drawers.