Garden Makeover

71K Views
It's nice to finally see the warm weather arrive, I say that with a bit of sarcasm because it is June 23rd and a balmy 14 degrees Celsius! Not your typical summer weather here in Ontario. None the less my deck and garden around it were in desperate need of a makeover. At least I can say I didn't sweat doing this project. I sanded my deck and restrained it, and added lattice around the bottom as it was an eyesore. I had wood ties around my garden that were rotted and needed to be replaced. Found this great product that made my life easy.
Time: 1 HoursCost: $40Difficulty: Easy
  • garden makeover
Here is what I started out with. Pretty ugly right? I stained using Cabot Cordovan Brown semi transparent stain. Then added my lattice around the bottom.
  • garden makeover
Looks better already! Now to deal with the ties. First step is to remove them.
  • garden makeover
Once removed you are going to use these blocks. They are called concrete planter blocks. Notice they have slats cut out on all four sides this enables you to add your boards and add onto your garden. It also has a hole in the top so you can add blocks and secure with a metal rod. I purchased these at Home Depot for under $5.00 each and I used 4.
  • garden makeover
Place blocks where you want them to go, I had to notch out some of my lawn to keep in line where the existing ties were.
  • garden makeover
I had stained my boards using the same stain as my deck. They are 2×6×8. Measure the length and cut.
  • garden makeover
Slide into place, continue the same process, adding your blocks , measuring boards, cutting and sliding in.
  • garden makeover
This is it completed. I love how it looks and was so easy to do.
  • garden makeover
This is the top of the block, you can leave it, if I didn't already have solar lights I would have added them to the holes. Since I did I had a different idea to finish it off.
  • garden makeover
I went to Restore and found these 8×8 tiles for 25 cents each and placed them on top of each block. You can also finish off using wood laying onto top of blocks going from one block to the other.
  • garden makeover
Add flowers and enjoy!
  • garden makeover
I am so pleased with the way this turned out. Now to redo that rocking chair.......

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 25, 2018 1:14 AM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.