Deck Furniture Update

$75

I recently purchased deck furniture. I like it but I thought the cushions were plain and on the thin side. My son and I spend each morning on the deck talking and reading. Its our special place so I decided to liven it up a little bit.
deck furniture update
Before!
I wanted extra pillows and pillow inserts are expensive so I went to Goodwill on 50% off Saturday and got all the pillows for $5.:)
deck furniture update
My primary materials. The leaf fabric is not an outdoor fabric but I liked it and figured it would be fine to cover the pillows. The black fabric is outdoor fabric and good for the seat cushions.
deck furniture update
Im adding the foam to the exsiting seating foam to thicken it up.
deck furniture update
I measured the fabric I needed for each pillow including seam allowances and folds.
deck furniture update
At the folds, I pinned the velcro on and sewed.
I pinned the sides and sewed.
deck furniture update
Next I pinned the sides and sewed. Turned it out and its done.
deck furniture update
This is how I stacked the cushions for the seated section. I cut enough fabric to cover both and included seam allowances and folds.
deck furniture update
At the folds, I pinned on the velcro and sewed.
deck furniture update
After sewing on the velcro, I folded the sides like I would if I were wrapping a box.
deck furniture update
I pinned it closed.
deck furniture update
I removed the fabric from the pillow and sewed the pinned side closure.
deck furniture update
Finished seat!
deck furniture update
The final result!
deck furniture update
My son and I like it very much.
My next post will show how I make a foot stool for our special place.

• Wil24568997

I LOVE THIS MATERIAL - CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU PURCHASED IT?

• S

Why didn't you just make regular box pleats?

If you had used a doubled piece of fabric (forming a tube), rather than a separate top & bottom piece, you wouldn't have a seam across the front of the seat.

When you say "folds" do you mean the hems?

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

What you think is a seam on the front is actually the crease in the fabric from being on the bolt. When you make your outdoor cushions you could Iron the fabric to remove most of that crease if you don't like it. I would assume over time that crease would fade out.

• Lisa M Smith

I live in a Tiny House on Wheels with stairs that are a foot tall. Ok for me but becoming a hazard for my 10 year old 6 pound Yorkie. Any suggestions on making them easier for him to get up and down?

• Vicki

I think the seams on all the sides will better hide the two pieces of pillow stacked together along their joining. It is a beautifully created home/ yard piece of furniture. Lovely work, Vicki

• Pat2195823

Thank you. We enjoy our summer mornings out there.