Deck Furniture Update

27K Views
I recently purchased deck furniture. I like it but I thought the cushions were plain and on the thin side. My son and I spend each morning on the deck talking and reading. Its our special place so I decided to liven it up a little bit.
Time: 4 HoursCost: $75Difficulty: Medium
  • deck furniture update
Before!
I wanted extra pillows and pillow inserts are expensive so I went to Goodwill on 50% off Saturday and got all the pillows for $5.:)
  • deck furniture update
My primary materials. The leaf fabric is not an outdoor fabric but I liked it and figured it would be fine to cover the pillows. The black fabric is outdoor fabric and good for the seat cushions.
  • deck furniture update
Im adding the foam to the exsiting seating foam to thicken it up.
  • deck furniture update
I measured the fabric I needed for each pillow including seam allowances and folds.
  • deck furniture update
At the folds, I pinned the velcro on and sewed.
I pinned the sides and sewed.
  • deck furniture update
Next I pinned the sides and sewed. Turned it out and its done.
  • deck furniture update
This is how I stacked the cushions for the seated section. I cut enough fabric to cover both and included seam allowances and folds.
  • deck furniture update
At the folds, I pinned on the velcro and sewed.
  • deck furniture update
After sewing on the velcro, I folded the sides like I would if I were wrapping a box.
  • deck furniture update
I pinned it closed.
  • deck furniture update
I removed the fabric from the pillow and sewed the pinned side closure.
  • deck furniture update
Finished seat!
  • deck furniture update
The final result!
  • deck furniture update
My son and I like it very much.
My next post will show how I make a foot stool for our special place.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of July 10, 2018 10:08 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.