Zen Trellis for Under $35

$35

I love the plant walls everywhere right now. I also love everything Zen. So I thought about it and decided I wanted to incorporate the two. But as usual I had budget restrictions. So off to my dollar stores I went. And this is what I came up with. Now I have a very interesting entrance to my house that is calming, contemporary, and awesome!
While at the dollar store I saw 10 tall bamboo sticks. Since they were only $0.99 I figured they would be perfect. I also purchased black wire for a dollar. I laid out the sticks in a trellis pattern.
Next I cut the wire into 12 inch pieces. I did a diagonal double wrap then crossed on the opposite diagonal twice on both and twisted in the back to secure.
This is a close up of the criss cross tie.
Next it was time to spray paint. I chose a matte charcoal.
While the paint was drying I hot glued floral foam (also from the dollar store) into 6 in plastic pots. These were $0.99 at Target.
I then stapled the pots to the bamboo trellis. I stapled about four to five times to make sure they were secure.
Last, I cut the grass segments from The wire bunch. I used three segments per pot.
I laid some large rocks that were in another place in my yard where I wanted to put the trellis. I think it really gives it that extra special Zen feeling. Voila! Leaned it against the wall for the finished product. Absolutely love it. Totally changed the entry to my door!

• LaFawne

I see this is an older post so I am curious. Have you had any trouble with wasps in your foam? I have foam blocks on my front porch with artificial flowres in them and I have seen several wasps actually burrowing holes inside, I assume to make a nest! I can actually hear them digging- LOL

Just wondered if you had this problem too

• Cheri

What dollar store carries these poles? The amazon price is over $50 with shipping.

• Nana Judie Watson

In the beginning photo you show little black embossed looking rectangular plastic items. Yet you don't mention what they are when describing the step by step nor did you mention them in the resource list. What are they????