Asked on Jun 23, 2018

How do I get paint to stick to a galvanized steel bench?

Jeannette Cole CavanaughJewellmartinHeje
+4

How do I get the paint to stick?
  • Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I have painted some in the past. What they told me when I went for paint, is that it's the zinc that reacts with the paint. Wipe it down with vinegar. Don't rinse. When I did, I had to use primer and then paint it. I recently came across this spray paint that can be used for galvanized metal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5NWRWC/ref=twister_B01I5NWA2O?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Zard Pocleeb
    Zard Pocleeb

Shouldn’t be a problem. I modified an old boat trailer into a utility trailer about 7-8 years ago. I painted it with spray paint before I put the wood on the deck, and the paint is still pristine. I didn’t do anything to prep the trailer before painting.
  • Dfm
    Dfm

There are paints formulated for metal...check to see what’s been stocked at the diy store. Some are in spray cans as well. You generally want a clean surface to paint on. Possibly prime it before painting it.
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Rustoleum metal primer.
  • Heje
    Heje

Rustoleum and other paint companies have spray paint with primer in it for metal.
  • Jewellmartin
    Jewellmartin

According to Sherwin Williams, “Most acrylic coatings will adhere directly to clean galvanized metal.” You may need to sand off the light rust on the surface, then clean the metal with a stiff brush. Then paint, by roller, brush or spray. Dana, this bench is ready for a new life! Be sure to post your project on Hometalk! ☺️

• Jeannette Cole Cavanaugh
    Jeannette Cole Cavanaugh

Did you do this project? I’m wondering the same on some school picnic tables I volunteered to clean up. I’m afraid if I spray paint the legs, next year they’ll all be peeling apart! I thought I’d try a small patch and probably know pretty quickly if it will work or not. Let me know tho-Thanks!