Coloured Pencil Napkin Ring

$10

I was at a loose end, it was raining so I decided that I needed to find a project that I could do inside.

I went to the dollar shop and bought a couple of packs of coloured pencils and some superglue

coloured pencil napkin ring

I had a couple of pieces of plastic pipe left over from a plumbing job so using the superglue I glued 2 layers to the pipe

coloured pencil napkin ring
coloured pencil napkin ring
coloured pencil napkin ring

I then wrapped the whole thing up in cling film and baking paper (and later lots of tape) to make a tube sealed at the bottom

coloured pencil napkin ring

I mixed the 2 pack resin (which I had left over from another "experiment!" and poured it into my suposedly sealed former, it almost immediately started to leak!! Quelle suprise!

I grabbed a lid from a paint aerosol and stood the whole shebang in that -- luckily it was almost the perfect size

I then let it dry

coloured pencil napkin ring
coloured pencil napkin ring
coloured pencil napkin ring

About a month later I realised that I had forgotton all about this and I was tidying the garage when I saw it, so I stripped off the clingfilm and greaseproof paper to reveal this, as I had a couple of hours I chucked it in the lathe to see if I could make something of it

coloured pencil napkin ring
coloured pencil napkin ring

Firstly I turned the whole length (no pic, sorry), then using the bandsaw I cut a slice approximately the length I wanted.

I rounded off the ends and then sanded it down using 80 grit, progressing to 400 grit.

I used a couple of tapered bungs to allow me to mount it in the lathe

coloured pencil napkin ring
coloured pencil napkin ring

After it was sanded I applied a coule of coats of marine varnish, this will stop the pencil leads from marking the napkin, I will probably sand this one down again as there are a couple of marks I missed

Just 11 more to make!!

coloured pencil napkin ring

• MMM

Stephen, really cool project. Could you make them without the PVC pipe attached? Cover the PVC in plastic wrap and then proceed with gluing the pencils to each other? Once you put the resin in they should stick together well - right? Might be a little lighter and you wouldn't have the PVC pipe that shows. Just a thought, but I don't know if it would work.

I like the look of the pencils sanded down.

• MMM

Good point - although if you don't sand down the inside except to smooth out and rough spots.... the inside would just be pencil wood and resin. But I get your idea. Thanks for the answer. They really do look cool! :)

• Susan Solowczuk

Very creative and a beautiful look in the end, but not a very realistic project for most of us. Not sure how a drill would work - do you mean a sander?

• Cindy Arnevik

Somehow I am confused. How did the resin mix not all run to the bottom? Isnit that thick?

• Stephen Taylor

As sjr said it was all wrapped in a tube made from cling film (saran wrap?) And baking paper