Turn a Wood Cable Reel Into a Farmhouse Clock

$60

I was asked to make a silent auction item for a fundraiser for our school, and my husband Tony suggested I make a large farmhouse clock from an electrical cable spool. Tony was able to get me a cable spool from his work for free, and it was the perfect size to make a large farmhouse clock. I used vinyl decals for the numbers, and created a whitewash look over a dark stain.
The first thing I did was remove all the hardware from the spool. The two ends were held together by some long bolts, but they were fairly easy to take apart. Then I lightly sanded the entire piece.
Next I used a very dark stain on the clock face as the base layer. I did two coats of  Minwax ebony, which is pretty much the darkest stain you can find. Next I applied some vinyl numbers equally spaced around the edge of the clock.
I wanted the clock to be pretty much white, with a bit of the dark stain peeking through in certain areas. I didn’t want the stain to bleed through all over, so I primed the reel with a stain blocking primer, painting right over the vinyl stickers. Next I did two coats of paint using general finishes  snow white milk paint.

Once the paint was dry I peeled off the vinyl numbers and was left with a white clock and dark numbers. I installed the clock parts with the over sized hands, and finished it off by putting the cable reel hardware back on.

Jessica VanderVeen

• Kim Sobaszek

Love it, can I ask what you used to cover the additional holes in the spool?

• Danno

They appear to be washers that were removed from the ends of the through bolts as the spool was disassembled.

• TheSeamstress

I have the top of an oak barrel in my late husband's wood collection. This would work perfectly for that piece.

• John Huntsman

I love this! I almost did mine this way but we decided to stain it instead. My question is what is the diameter of the center hole before you added the hardware? I am struggling to find something that fits my clock. Mine measures 3" and the ones on the site you used is 3 3/4". Thank you!!

• Veronica Jones

That looks so good!

• Jkgordon1234

It is about “TIME” that those tables was use for something than just eating off of great idea!!!! 🤗🕓🤗. Janna Gordon