Turn a Wood Cable Reel Into a Farmhouse Clock

14K Views
I was asked to make a silent auction item for a fundraiser for our school, and my husband Tony suggested I make a large farmhouse clock from an electrical cable spool. Tony was able to get me a cable spool from his work for free, and it was the perfect size to make a large farmhouse clock. I used vinyl decals for the numbers, and created a whitewash look over a dark stain.
Time: 6 HoursCost: $60Difficulty: Easy
  • turn a wood cable reel into a farmhouse clock
The first thing I did was remove all the hardware from the spool. The two ends were held together by some long bolts, but they were fairly easy to take apart. Then I lightly sanded the entire piece.
Next I used a very dark stain on the clock face as the base layer. I did two coats of  Minwax ebony, which is pretty much the darkest stain you can find. Next I applied some vinyl numbers equally spaced around the edge of the clock.
I wanted the clock to be pretty much white, with a bit of the dark stain peeking through in certain areas. I didn’t want the stain to bleed through all over, so I primed the reel with a stain blocking primer, painting right over the vinyl stickers. Next I did two coats of paint using general finishes  snow white milk paint.

Once the paint was dry I peeled off the vinyl numbers and was left with a white clock and dark numbers. I installed the clock parts with the over sized hands, and finished it off by putting the cable reel hardware back on.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 14, 2018 11:58 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Jessica VanderVeen