Laminate flooring- how to install flooring by yourself?

I would like to install laminate flooring myself but not sure how to go about doing it. Has anyone install flooring themselves? What suggestions do you have to help me.

• Chris Keating-Ingelse Chris Keating-Ingelse on Jun 24, 2018
    First, my warning re: laminate flooring: Buy cheap, buy twice. We bought really inexpensive (cheap!) flooring for our previous home. It didn't "click" together correctly and the surface (it's a photo of wood) started rubbing off after the first couple of years. So, on the bright side, laminate flooring is actually easy to install. You need to invest in a good laminate (check the "mil" of the surface and go for the best you can afford) and "underlay", which comes in either rolls or sheets (depending on the application, ie. are you putting the laminate over concrete or an existing tile, vinyl or wood floor?). Check to make sure that adding the laminate won't increase the thickness of your floor to the point that you have to cut the bottoms of your doors down (or will only have to do it minimally). Lay down the underlay as you go so it doesn't get stepped on and torn while you lay the flooring in another section. For the best look, you'll need to stagger each row of flooring starting at the wall, or whichever starting point you choose make the 1st pieces (across the "row" or starting point) in each "column" of laminate in a 1', 2' & 3' pattern, repeated across the starting point. You'll have to cut the 1' & 2' (they usually come in 3' sections) which requires an electric saw ie. jig saw, table saw or circular saw. Then, continue each "column" using regular length pieces from there on until you get to the stopping point where you'll have to cut to fit. I hope I'm explaining this clearly enough! In our new home, we're using vinyl planking- that looks like barn wood- right over our cleaned (ugly) vinyl floors. It's a good alternative and lasts! We've had this in our bathroom for a year and a half, and it handles water well (no pun intended!). It's sold under the Allure Traffic Master name, and it's a "floating" floor. The pieces stick to each other, don't require underlayment and form a sold piece of vinyl instead of sticking to the floor, and you can cut them with a box knife and make odd cutouts with tin snips. Just a thought!