Alicia Gillentine Carr
Alicia Gillentine Carr
  • Tutorial Team
  • New Orleans, LA

Old School Charm

My son spotted this old desk at a yard sale and fell in love. It was only $15. and it wasn't an old, broken toy...I can do that!
old school charm, chalkboard paint, crafts, decoupage, painting, repurposing upcycling
Before.
Cleaned up and primed. I really tried to salvage the top, but my son really wanted chalkboard paint. I couldn't sand away the 60+ years of gouges and smiley faces carved into the veneer anyway.
We already had this pretty blue paint in the garage.
I used a dark tinted glaze on the blue...
Then I painstakingly lined the cubby with this great tissue paper. Mod-podge and a lot of patience.
I lightly sanded the seat boards and applied a coat of stain, then waxed. I love the "wear and tear" look that all those kids butts gave the wood :)
The end! Thanks for looking!

• Linda Fredenburg

Is the top of the desk chalkboard paint? Looks like a different color than the chair.

• Cheryl

I have two and think I'll do them in contrasting colors. If they turn out anywhere close to how good yours did, I'll send you a pic. The great tissue paper challenge!