Tufted Headboard Slip Cover

$60
Advanced

I love my traditional wooden headboard and wanted to keep it. I also wanted to lighten my bedroom. I decided to make a slip cover for the headboard so that I could go back to my wood look when ever I'd like to. So I got busy using two full sized foam mattress pads, 3 yards of fabric, a button making kit, upholsters needle and a little math...I was able to pull it off (literally, get it? slip cover? pull it off? ha ha) Anyway...it turn out really nicely.

tufted headboard slip cover

Decided to change the look for the summer.

tufted headboard slip cover

I held the foam pad behind the headboard and traced the shape of it...and extra set of hands were needed.

tufted headboard slip cover

Cut out form of the headboard.

tufted headboard slip cover

Cut strips of foam for a build up around the edges of the form. Mine was three inches, it will depend on the size of your headboard.

tufted headboard slip cover

Mark a grid on the foam for placement of buttons and puncture each one.

tufted headboard slip cover

Began tufting.

tufted headboard slip cover

Used a button kit to make buttons for tufting.

tufted headboard slip cover

Hand sewed a thin fabric on the back as a dustcover.

tufted headboard slip cover

slipped it on to the headboard.

tufted headboard slip cover

Add bedding and enjoy.

• Molly Whitebear

OMG! I’m an artist and am always getting ideas for art pieces from things meant for something else. The sculpted designs in that foam hit me with such a great thought! Where did you get your foam with all those fabulous zigzag and circle designs in it?

• Lightfeather

Agree with Molly, I was drawn to the form design and thought hmmmm, how can I keep all the interesting shapes and add color.

• Fay34273850

Could you use this idea without the headboard. Would a piece of covered foam be attached to the wall to make a headboard. I have seen this with covered plywood but I am curious if foam alone would hold up?

• Cathy Smith

You can buy thick strong styrofoam sheets at Lowe's for about $18. They are 4x8, about 1" thick. As sturdy as wood but super lightweight.

• Vanessa

I am loving the wood headboard. Do you remember where you purchased it?

• Judy Bradley

I have almost the exact headboard in my garage. I also have curved footboard that goes with it and the side rails. My dad had bought it at an auction atleast 40 years ago.

• beautiful idea -the material could of been pulled tighter at the top-I think you could still do it!!!!

• Thank you Maureen, I agree and have done such since this post. It looks better but I will not be sharing because I didn't realize that people would be so unkind with their remarks. My skin is not thick enough for the cyber bullies so I won't be sharing again on this site.

• I like the idea. I have shopped for a soft head board and prices were shocking; 400 bucks for a queen. I am thinking the same look could be accomplished with a piece of ply wood or an old head board....then use layers: foam, batting, and a heavy upholstery fabric. I think I would use heavy staples to fit the fabrics tight around the frame...The tuxedo effect with upholstery nails or sew large buttons. Hum, there is some tweeking needed for sure. All the sewing experience I have I think I could figure it out. Thank you...