Tufted Headboard Slip Cover

$60
Advanced

I love my traditional wooden headboard and wanted to keep it. I also wanted to lighten my bedroom. I decided to make a slip cover for the headboard so that I could go back to my wood look when ever I'd like to. So I got busy using two full sized foam mattress pads, 3 yards of fabric, a button making kit, upholsters needle and a little math...I was able to pull it off (literally, get it? slip cover? pull it off? ha ha) Anyway...it turn out really nicely.

Decided to change the look for the summer.

I held the foam pad behind the headboard and traced the shape of it...and extra set of hands were needed.

Cut out form of the headboard.

Cut strips of foam for a build up around the edges of the form. Mine was three inches, it will depend on the size of your headboard.

Mark a grid on the foam for placement of buttons and puncture each one.

Began tufting.

Used a button kit to make buttons for tufting.

Hand sewed a thin fabric on the back as a dustcover.

slipped it on to the headboard.

Add bedding and enjoy.

• Eric Lee

I have a big pedestal headbroad, how could this work?

• Renee Coleman Roberson

Hi Eric, I'm not able to picture the pedestal shape in my mind but as long as you're able to trace around the headboard to get the actual shape of it, I think it would work.

• Marty Phillips

Where do you start tufting? What order to go in? Up and down or side to side?

• Renee Coleman Roberson

Hi Marty. I start in the center and work outwards, that way you can control the look of your creases.

• Page Bellamy

How do you see the grid that you've marked on the foam if you're covering it up with a piece of material?