Tufted Headboard Slip Cover

$60
Advanced

I love my traditional wooden headboard and wanted to keep it. I also wanted to lighten my bedroom. I decided to make a slip cover for the headboard so that I could go back to my wood look when ever I'd like to. So I got busy using two full sized foam mattress pads, 3 yards of fabric, a button making kit, upholsters needle and a little math...I was able to pull it off (literally, get it? slip cover? pull it

tufted headboard slip cover

Decided to change the look for the summer.

tufted headboard slip cover

I held the foam pad behind the headboard and traced the shape of it...and extra set of hands were needed.

tufted headboard slip cover

Cut out form of the headboard.

tufted headboard slip cover

Cut strips of foam for a build up around the edges of the form. Mine was three inches, it will depend on the size of your headboard.

tufted headboard slip cover

Mark a grid on the foam for placement of buttons and puncture each one.

tufted headboard slip cover

Began tufting.

tufted headboard slip cover

Used a button kit to make buttons for tufting.

tufted headboard slip cover

Hand sewed a thin fabric on the back as a dustcover.

tufted headboard slip cover

slipped it on to the headboard.

tufted headboard slip cover

Add bedding and enjoy.

• Vanessa

I am loving the wood headboard. Do you remember where you purchased it?

• Renee Coleman Roberson

I Vanessa I purchased that headboard about 6 years ago at Rooms to go and yes it has a foot board also.

• Eric Lee

I have a big pedestal headbroad, how could this work?

• Renee Coleman Roberson

Hi Eric, I'm not able to picture the pedestal shape in my mind but as long as you're able to trace around the headboard to get the actual shape of it, I think it would work.

• Marty Phillips

Where do you start tufting? What order to go in? Up and down or side to side?

• Renee Coleman Roberson

Hi Marty. I start in the center and work outwards, that way you can control the look of your creases.

• Luwanna Sue

What an excellent way to change out the style of a bedroom! You had a very creative and excellent idea making the slip cover for your headboard! I also like your take on the fastening system to hold the buttons securely in place and pull the tuft tight. You did a very beautiful job!

• Suzanne Dickson

Yes, I was of course, speaking to Franny Monaghan Lathe who has a rectangle headboard.