Tufted Headboard Slip Cover

$60
Advanced

I love my traditional wooden headboard and wanted to keep it. I also wanted to lighten my bedroom. I decided to make a slip cover for the headboard so that I could go back to my wood look when ever I'd like to. So I got busy using two full sized foam mattress pads, 3 yards of fabric, a button making kit, upholsters needle and a little math...I was able to pull it off (literally, get it? slip cover? pull it
tufted headboard slip cover
Decided to change the look for the summer.
tufted headboard slip cover
I held the foam pad behind the headboard and traced the shape of it...and extra set of hands were needed.
tufted headboard slip cover
Cut out form of the headboard.
tufted headboard slip cover
Cut strips of foam for a build up around the edges of the form. Mine was three inches, it will depend on the size of your headboard.
tufted headboard slip cover
Mark a grid on the foam for placement of buttons and puncture each one.

tufted headboard slip cover
Began tufting.
tufted headboard slip cover
Used a button kit to make buttons for tufting.
tufted headboard slip cover
Hand sewed a thin fabric on the back as a dustcover.
tufted headboard slip cover
slipped it on to the headboard.
tufted headboard slip cover
Add bedding and enjoy.
Here is a guide on how to make the tufted without an actual board behind it.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 09, 2018 11:04 PM - More info

• Idf24099839

Did you use anything to cover the wires so they don't scratch the furniture? I wouldn't want to damage the wood. A few pieces of Velcro would help keep the slipcover in place and more taught. I think that would make your project pop.

• Mar13731773

Thank you for a great idea . Making a headboard cover is such a wonderful way to change up your bedroom look. I like it a lot! Thank you.

• Jeannie wallace

I do not have a board so I'm going to try your design for no board because that looks so pretty. Thanks so much for sharing this project. It was definitely not a slip up ... get it? LOL

• Melinda Boyd

Sweetheart, you could make some serious cash with this idea. Copywriter and patten your idea immediately and submit your work. Can you imagine seeing your headboard cover in Pottery Barn? Hurry!

• That is the sweetest thing to say Melinda. I really appreciate your kind and wise words. That would be nice by the way. :)