How to build a dry creek on a budget

We have several oak trees around us that caused quite a bit of problems in different places around our home. When it rains it floods my sidewalk close to my front door causing dirt and leaves to float onto and eventually stick to the sidewalk. I’m not quite sure how to fix it. I have tried gravel before, but it didn’t work well. I was thinking maybe a dry creek to our front yard drain. We live in south Louisiana so there are no rocks available unless you go to a nursery and purchase. The prices of larger rocks are crazy expensive down here. Its a rock for goodness sake.

Where it floods most

Area next to house where I’m thinking of starting the creek bed

• Polly Fuller
    Polly Fuller High Point, NC

had a similar problem. dug a trench 12 in wide 12 inches deep. put put in corrugated plastic pipe 5 inch diameter or larger. covered with gravel. cheapest stone is crushed white marble. took 30 bags @ 3.50 each.

• Linda Dugal
        Linda Dugal Lafayette, LA

Thanks Polly. Do u like ur results? I wasn’t sure what rock was the cheapest. Wish I lived somewhere where the whole front yard is rock!! Down here people are obsessed with their perfectly manicured St Augustine grass!! At least in all my surrounding neighborhoods. Lol. Thanks again.

• Linda Dugal
          Linda Dugal Lafayette, LA

I can’t remember if I replied or not, but I sincerely thank you for sending me the link. It’s nice people like you that make me love this site. I had asked a question before about hiding a huge travel camper that was parked right next to my house and I asked the best way to hide it.....like maybe an arbor or planting something that would grow wide but not too tall. I received texts about how ugly the basketball goal and propane take were, how they wished they had a camper because it had been so long since they had a vacation, how nice it was to have such a big yard. U get my point.....nothing to do with what I was asking at all. Was weird, so it’s been a while since I posted a question on here. So thank you for being a normal person with a lot of help to offer in one easy step!! Have a great 4th. Linda