When You Can’t Find a Rug, Paint One!

$10

My burgundy bathroom is a work in progress. After painting the walls and creating the faux brick backsplash ...

... the next task was to find the perfect rug — for next to nothing. :) Every garage sale and thrift store visit turned up zilch, so I decided to make do with what I could find.
I found this light beige rug at a sale for $5.
I had seen many posts on Hometalk about rug painting, so I thought I’d take the plunge. I got out my little stenciling sponges and the exact same paint I had used on my bathroom walls: Red, Red Wine by Pittsburgh Paints at Menards.
Surprisingly, this was really pretty easy. I dabbed the paint on the rug with the sponge, being careful to not leave any big blobs of paint.
After completing the burgundy color, I used a smaller sponge to dab some shimmery silver paint on to the smaller stripes. This entire process was very quick. All of the painting was done in less than an hour.
After an hour of drying time, here is the burgundy rug in place in the burgundy bathroom. Eventually I may try to stencil some big magnolias on it to match the Old South theme, but that will be a post for another day. :)