When You Can’t Find a Rug, Paint One!

$10

My burgundy bathroom is a work in progress. After painting the walls and creating the faux brick backsplash ...

... the next task was to find the perfect rug — for next to nothing. :) Every garage sale and thrift store visit turned up zilch, so I decided to make do with what I could find.
when you can t find a rug paint one
I found this light beige rug at a sale for $5.
when you can t find a rug paint one
I had seen many posts on Hometalk about rug painting, so I thought I’d take the plunge. I got out my little stenciling sponges and the exact same paint I had used on my bathroom walls: Red, Red Wine by Pittsburgh Paints at Menards.
when you can t find a rug paint one
Surprisingly, this was really pretty easy. I dabbed the paint on the rug with the sponge, being careful to not leave any big blobs of paint.
when you can t find a rug paint one
After completing the burgundy color, I used a smaller sponge to dab some shimmery silver paint on to the smaller stripes. This entire process was very quick. All of the painting was done in less than an hour.
when you can t find a rug paint one
After an hour of drying time, here is the burgundy rug in place in the burgundy bathroom. Eventually I may try to stencil some big magnolias on it to match the Old South theme, but that will be a post for another day. :)

Scarlett Butler

• Judy Sherley Fodor

What kind of paint did you use ?

• Scarlett Butler

Hi Judy, there’s a photo in the story above, but it’s Red Red Wine wall paint by Pittsburgh Paints.

• Joanne Edison

Did the rug feel stiff after painting it ?

• Carol Gillette

Did you use any sealer? Bc I was wondering what's happens when it gets wet from the shower. Will the paint begin to fade?

• Toni

How would you clean the rug?

• Scarlett Butler

Hi .... I’m able to clean it the same as my other area rugs. If they’re small enough I take them outside and beat them. :) For stains, I either spot clean with mild soap and water or go over them with cool water and my rug shampooer. So far the painted fibers have survived.

• Lisa

I have a couple of outdoor rugs on my back deck that are in perfectly good condition, but I'm ready for a color change. I'm thinking paint just might do the trick. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Tonya

Thank YOU!!! You have given me a HUGE IDEA! I'M SO INSPIRED!🙌