When You Can’t Find a Rug, Paint One!

$10

My burgundy bathroom is a work in progress. After painting the walls and creating the faux brick backsplash ...

... the next task was to find the perfect rug — for next to nothing. :) Every garage sale and thrift store visit turned up zilch, so I decided to make do with what I could find.
I found this light beige rug at a sale for $5.
I had seen many posts on Hometalk about rug painting, so I thought I’d take the plunge. I got out my little stenciling sponges and the exact same paint I had used on my bathroom walls: Red, Red Wine by Pittsburgh Paints at Menards.
Surprisingly, this was really pretty easy. I dabbed the paint on the rug with the sponge, being careful to not leave any big blobs of paint.
After completing the burgundy color, I used a smaller sponge to dab some shimmery silver paint on to the smaller stripes. This entire process was very quick. All of the painting was done in less than an hour.
After an hour of drying time, here is the burgundy rug in place in the burgundy bathroom. Eventually I may try to stencil some big magnolias on it to match the Old South theme, but that will be a post for another day. :)

30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls

• Lynn

Doesn’t the paint dry stiff and hard? I would think it would feel funny on bare feet?

• Diane

I would think it dried hard as well, and your table is not covered with drop cloth??????? Hmmm

• Karen

It's beautiful, but how will it stand up to moisture? Like wet people from the shower? I'd love to try it but not confident the paint won't bleed if the rug gets damp.

• Scarlett Butler

Hi Karen! This hasn't been a problem, and I just used craft paint. Maybe you could try it with a cheap second-hand rug like I did and test it out a bit? Good luck!