I want to convert a singer cabinet into microwave stand. Any ideas?

I would like to convert this cabinet into a microwave stand with additional storage. The sewing machine itself does not work. I need inspiration. Thanks.

• Gk
    Gk

What a beautiful cabinet! If it is in good shape I would just clean it well and oil it with some lemon oil--the wood looks beautiful! Perhaps you could add some bun feet on the bottom to make it taller. Using the brackets to attach the feet makes it more stable--they are usually sold next the feet in stores like Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes. If you can use the space behind the doors I would add some shelves. I know you can take the sewing machine out--I believe there would be screws under the top that will allow you to do so. It is hard to tell without more pictures. I also think you would be able to take off the extra piece of wood that closes over the sewing machine. You could add a piece of butcher block over the top to make it all flat and stain and poly that to match--it would cover the hole left behind! What a fun project!! Although I am a fan of chalk paint I would not paint this piece--it looks like it is in such perfect shape and quite a conversation starter. I have never seen a sewing cabinet like that!

• This is an amazing piece and an excellent storage solution too. I would be inclined to find a nice scrap of granite/quartz at a granite boneyard and have it cut to fit. It really doesn't cost much to do. (Custom fabrication is spendy though)