Asked on Jun 25, 2018

I want to convert a singer cabinet into microwave stand. Any ideas?

EmilyLeslee CaseOlga Arango
+7

I would like to convert this cabinet into a microwave stand with additional storage. The sewing machine itself does not work. I need inspiration. Thanks.
q i want to convert a singer cabinet into microwave stand any ideas
  • Gk

What a beautiful cabinet! If it is in good shape I would just clean it well and oil it with some lemon oil--the wood looks beautiful! Perhaps you could add some bun feet on the bottom to make it taller. Using the brackets to attach the feet makes it more stable--they are usually sold next the feet in stores like Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes. If you can use the space behind the doors I would add some shelves. I know you can take the sewing machine out--I believe there would be screws under the top that will allow you to do so. It is hard to tell without more pictures. I also think you would be able to take off the extra piece of wood that closes over the sewing machine. You could add a piece of butcher block over the top to make it all flat and stain and poly that to match--it would cover the hole left behind! What a fun project!! Although I am a fan of chalk paint I would not paint this piece--it looks like it is in such perfect shape and quite a conversation starter. I have never seen a sewing cabinet like that!

• This is an amazing piece and an excellent storage solution too. I would be inclined to find a nice scrap of granite/quartz at a granite boneyard and have it cut to fit. It really doesn't cost much to do. (Custom fabrication is spendy though)

• Fiddledd224

I would paint it and put a countertop on it to match your kitchen cabinets. What a find!

• Annie

That is beautiful. What are the dimensions?

• Debra McMenamin

Wow! I’ve never seen a sewing machine cabinet like that. I would consider using it as a pantry. It’s beautiful. I hope that you will share your finished project with us once you have it done.

• Sue Algeo Kirk

Don't put a microwave in it - use it as is.

• Hgmartin.pa

I love the idea of cutting a piece of stone or thick glass for the top. Also instead of bun feet perhaps attaching wheels on the bottom to add height and functionality. Not little wheels but solid,metal wheels with brakes.
    Vintage industrial.

• Olga Arango

Please do not use it for your microwave. I ts such a beautiful piece it would be demerited. I t should go to a spot where everyone would see it and comment on its beauty . Never seen anything like it. I would be proud of it.

• Leslee Case

thats an antique worth a lot in the sewing community please don't ruin it.

• Emily

This is a very beautiful piece of cabinetry. Please do not paint it. If you want to use it as a microwave stand, do as others suggest and use a piece of granite or wood, but don't touch the surface of this unique cabinet. You have something worth a lot I would think.