DECORATIVE PIECE USING COLOR SAMPLES

$45

Creating pieces by myself to decorate my home is one of the things which I am most passionate about. Many people think that things have to be expensive to look good, but that is totally false. You can create economical accessories which look as good or better than an expensive ones. Therefore, today I will be showing you a very interesting and easy DIY project.
decorative piece using color samples
Step 1. Choose the color samples you want to use for your piece, and cut them into squares of approximately  2″ x 2″ or 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″
decorative piece using color samples
Step 2. You will need 24"x36" decorative metal sheet.
decorative piece using color samples
Step 3. Then cut the 1/8" Hardboard Tempered Panel to match the metal sheet.
decorative piece using color samples
step 4. Organize; decide the order in which your pieces are to be shown and then glue them to your 1/8″ panel. It is recommended to utilize an acid free spray glue (I used 3M super 77 spray adhesive) for it will conserve the color samples as they are and will not alter their color in time. 
decorative piece using color samples
Step 5. Cut the 4 pieces of wood and cut them into 45 degree angles thus forming what will become the frame for this simple, yet fabulous piece of art

decorative piece using color samples
Step 6. With a router, make a rabbet to all four wood pieces, like you see on the picture, to accommodate the metal sheet, paint chips and backing.

decorative piece using color samples
Step 5. Place the four pieces forming a rectangle. (the form depends of what metal sheet you are going to use) and then paint with Rust-oLeum spray paint.
decorative piece using color samples
Step 6. Place your decorative metal sheet inside the rabbet of the frame.

decorative piece using color samples
Step 7. Place the panel with the color samples on top of the metal sheet colors facing down towards the metal sheet, so you can see the colors through the holes of the metal sheet.
decorative piece using color samples
Step 8. Use framing nails or regular nails to secure the pieces inside the frame, then cover with framers tape to give your piece a finished look. 
decorative piece using color samples
And this is how it ended up
decorative piece using color samples
For more of my projects don't forget to visit us HERE

DIY Tutoriales y mucho más

• Lisa

How are the rustoleum paint chips shown in the suggested materials section utilized?? It appears to be square paint samples used instead. TIA

• Leah

Lisa, some people call them paint chips instead of paint samples. It sounds like something someone from England would use.

• Kristen Ojeda

What kind of staple gun did you use to join the corners of the frame that you made? It looks like the staples are in the shape of a "V." The project turned out beautifully.

• Thanks for the comment. Those staples are from a professional framing machine I have, but you can use any kind of fastener (nails, screws, etc), or you may opt for not cutting at 45° so as to make it easier to put together. Somebody also suggested using any existing frame you have around and just cutting the metal mesh to match. Good luck!

• Grace

Hello can anyone tell me what colours go with a 90's house as my hall way could do with updating be with a classic look. to go with the house.

• Fly

This is so cute, neat, ingenious, and awesome. Thanks for sharing. I love it!

• Joanie

I love what you did......it is so pretty!!

Tons of idea's to elaborate with it.